• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

questions about Hamilton 945 "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I've developed an interest in unusual and/or high quality Hamilton "dress" watches and collected about ten examples. The 945 puzzles me? They don't seem common and have 23 jewels, yet "book price" is very low. I note a number have corporate logos on the dial...was this a watch Hamilton brought our largely as a presentation watch? Any history/background would be of interest.

Gary

Posts: 586 | Location: Bastrop, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
I collect Hamilton dress watches as well. I am no expert, but Hamilton 945s clearly are less in demand, and command significantly lower prices, than Hamilton 923s. 945s seem essentially to be upjeweled 917s; 917s are not high demand items. 923s, in contrast, seem to be an upgraded version of the more in demand 921.

This is confirmed but what I have paid for my 923s and 945s. I have two nice 14k 945s for which I paid $300 and $350 in 2007 and 2008, respectively. In contrast, I paid considerably more for my three nice 923s: $600 for a 14k 923 in 2009, $900 for an 18k 923 in 2009, and $800 for an 18k 923 in 2010.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
One thing to remember is that the Hamilton 945 came out in an era when the custom of giving presentation watches and the popularity of pocket watches in general were both fading away. That explains the low production more than anything.

The example I have is a factory-engraved retirement watch from Consolidation Coal. I got it at a house auction in Bruceton Mills, WV for $50 because I was the only one at the auction who could open the snap-off back to see that it was 14K. Naturally I didn't share this information with the other bidders!

It's heartbreaking to see movement-hands-dial of these left by scrappers because I know they will only fit in a Hamilton case.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
ahhh, thanks Ed. That's a key piece of information. I see many pristine movements offered and have been tempted...but now I know they are "orphans" that can not be placed. Temptation removed.

I have been looking for nice Hamilton 10 and 12 cases... not easy to find. Nice movements are plentiful and many nice dials are only moderately difficult by comparison.

Gary

Posts: 586 | Location: Bastrop, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2011
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Yes indeed, a case that takes a 12 size dial and a 10 size movement as these do is a pretty rare bird, made only by Hamilton.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
I have a 10k Gold case which should house a 945 but am having trouble actually buying one as I keep getting sniped on ebay, I presume by wrist watch makers. If you find any more 'orphans' I have a 'foster home' not many if any seem to have made it this side of the pond.

I believe the model name for mine is 'Bryan'

Posts: 99 | Location: Surrey in the United Kingdom | Registered: June 01, 2011