Reply to Post

Chas. Heaton "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Does anyone know who Chas. Heaton was?

Posts: 3233 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: June 25, 2008
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
Charles Heaton is a jeweler and watchmaker in Potsdam, and has a well-stocked store on a principal street in a building left him by his father. At the other end of the same street stands his snug residence, with stable and lawn. Mr. Heaton is worth about $25,000, which makes him a rich man in Potsdam. [ END OF FIRST PARAGRAPH ]
it carries on to show his Civil War service Company B ,16th New York Volunteer Infantry etc.Tom will get you far more but just for once I beat him to the punch,golly it feels so good ,LOL Big Grin

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Charles Heaton was born about 1842 in New York state.

In 1870 he was living with his parents in Potsdam, Saint Lawrence NY & was listed as a jeweler.

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Thanks, I don't know how you do this so fast. Sorcery perhaps? Razz

jg

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
FROM:Our County and it's people A memorial record of St. Lawrence County, New York Edited by: Gates Curtis The Boston History Co., Publishers 1894

Heaton, Charles, Potsdam, was bern in Potsdam, May 23, 1841, a son of Lorenzo D., who died August 5, 1891. He was well remembered as a politician and one of the earliest settlers of the town. He came to this town in 1810, and always lived here until his death. He was the father of nine children, of whom our subject was next to the youngest. He was educated in the common schools and St. Lawrence Academy, and enlisted October 12, 1861, in the Sixteenth N. Y. Vol. Inf., Co. B, and saw service with this regiment until May 31, 1862, when he was discharged for disability. He was home only a year when he returned, and acted as sutler's clerk in Scott's 900 cavalry until December, 1863. After a winter at home he tried to enlist both in the navy and cavalry, but was rejected, and found his war service closed. He was at work for R. F. Welch the year he spent at borne, and after his war service was ended he returned to Mr. Welch and finished his trade. On March 1, 1867, he started for himself, and has now spent twenty six years in this business. In 1892 he purchased the block where the store is located, He is a member of Marsh Post, No. 214, G. A. R. Mr. Heaton married in 1869 Lydia E. Herrman, of Potsdam, and they have three children Charles F., an optician and a graduate of Spencer's Optical College, New York; Grace A. and Ruth E., who live at home.

posted
OK, here is another challenge for you. What can you tell me about these fellows?

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Well so far it looks like this must have been made when the Dakotas were still a Territory, Brookings is now in South Dakota.

It was probably Leslie C. Dewing who was born about Nov. 1862 in Wisconsin. In 1900 census he is living in Brookings, Brookings, SD & is listed as a jeweler.

I will see if I can find if he was the son or the father in the business, I am guessing he is the son

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Yep, I was right. It was Charles Dexter Dewing & his son Leslie Charles Dewing.

This is from Descendants of Andrew Dewing of Dedham, Mass 1904

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Great "Detectiving" Tom and Tom. Now was that a Chas Heaton Cod, Pike or Muskellenge!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I don't know fish, was never much of a fisherman, but Charles Heaton & his dad apparently were.

Here Charles is listed as a river guide.

posted
Being from Noo Yahk, and having fished the St Lawrence, it looks a lot like a gar pike. Of course, at that time the Seaway's most famous fish was the Muskie, due to the incredible sizes these things could grow.

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008