Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

What are the Train Engineers using now? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
You know of course that we are collectors of any and all of the watches, pocket or wrist type, that were used in the 'old days'.

What about now???? I know we have folks in the club that are still invloved in the train industry and I think it would be interesting to know about the type of time keeping devices that are being used in today's world

My nephew is an engineer for Burlington in So Cal and I have no idea what they are using.

Anyone have any comments on this subject?

Feel free to jump in anytime you feel like it. Big Grin

Regards, Wink
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
We had one in CA using a cell phone . . . a BIIIIG Mistake!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Yeah, Dave, that was recent to. We just had another one similar to that one out near San Bernadino a week or so ago.

I guess they are relying more on computers now than anything else.

Too bad, all the work being taken over by computer. Frown

Jerry

IHC Member 1110
posted
Hello Jerry, I'm glad you asked this question, because I've been wondering the same thing and was about to ask also.It seems as though the RR companies must still have some kind of time service standards.You'd think it would be a safety issue for them.Time is everything in railroading.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
posted
I know some body that retired about 20 or more years ago from the railroad we call him railroad Jim I ask about railroad watch and he told me he had a elgin raymond he said the railroad would pay for the inspections but when they got better with knowing were the train are electronic switching and those boards they look at and see were the trains are they stoped paying for it so they got it in there union contract that they did not need to carry a watch a working man needs every cent they make.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hello Jerry,

This is a very good question.

With all the computer controls today the rules may be somewhat relaxed and David's post appears to prove that. What Ted said would have been my initial thoughts, but according to Mike's friend the standards evidently have relaxed. Anyhow, the three designated as genuine, new Railroad Approved watches I found from my best available sources are the ones shown below this post.

We will soon be selling the Pulsar Railroad Approved in our IHC185 Auctions.

Lindell

Railroad Approved Watches still have a no-nonsense look...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 1110
posted
I remember about a year ago, on Ebay there was a Bulova RR approved quartz pocket watch.It was real thin, with a sweep second hand.I missed bidding on it ,but it didn't go for very much.I wonder if that was ever considered RR grade.It must have had a wrist watch movement in it...It seems that if there was no more need for railroad watches, they would stop marking "RR approved" on the dials.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Member 935
posted
I work at two Amtrak stations in California, and I am always looking at what watches are being used. So far, no one, engineers or conductors, carries a pocket watch. Most wear a Casio digital wrist watch or similar competitive maked; a few wear inexpensive analog wrist watches. I carry one of my railroad pocket watches, and, when I show one off to the conductors, a typical reply is something like, "My father (or grandfather) had one like that." I am still researching this whole thing, and I will report more later.

Mort

Posts: 175 | Location: Davis, California USA | Registered: March 10, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
This brings to mind the experience which caused me to "return to mechanicals" as far as watches go. . . . consider yourself a traveling businessman who writes off mileage to the airport for the 75 times a year you have to do that just to "keep things going". . . and you are in Hong Kong on a tight schedule for some business conducted at the airport between flights, and you must go to Tokyo Narita ASAP . . . . and during the meeting you check the time and THE WATCH DIED BECAUSE OF A DEAD BATTERY!

After a half hour or so sweating the time in a delicate meeting where it is "impolite" to ask "what time is it" followed by the incredible frustration trying to find a watch battery ANYWHERE IN ASIA cured me permanently of "electric watches" . . . . got the trusty old Longines conquest out that I bought in Singapore in 1963 and "went automatic" again . . . always did like analog dials better.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
From what a CSX engineer recently told me, since there is technically no 'time rule' governing the railroads anymore, any watch with arabic numbers for quick glance time reference is acceptable on the CSX system.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
Hello Jerry, I am a engineer for Union Pacific R.R. for 33 years. I always wear a RR grade pocket watch at work, usually a different watch each trip. The current rule governing watches is Rule 3.2:WATCH REQUIREMENT - While on Duty, all employees who do not work in an office with a standard clock must have a watch. The watch must 1: Be in good working condition and reliable.2: Display hours, minutes and seconds. Rule 3:3 Deals with time comparison. The rules quoted are from General Code of Operating Rules Union Pacific R.R.April 3, 2005. I am wearing a Dudley Model 1 in Yellow Gold, which should qualify by Today's standards. Regards Chet

Posts: 3 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: November 30, 2008
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
The Canadian Pacific Railway in Canada that had some of the most strictest standards, now have no more time inspection requirements. Standard Clocks are a thing of the past, employees booking out check the time by telephone to the National Standards Time signal. And watches are at the employee's description long as they have a 24-hour dial. This has been brought about by Advanced Technology where time is not as important for his safe railway operations.

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
When I retired after 41 years from the BNSF signal department 7 plus years ago, our rules were similar to the UP rules Chet listed. I can't locate the book right now for the exact wording, but lots of RRs used the same General Instructions.
These were my two favorites that I had. The 214 was purchased in the first part of the 60s, and the Seiko in 1977 I believe. I really liked the Seiko with the day/date and 5 yr. battery. I might add that the Accutron keeps super time when worn regularly.

Bill Carlson

Posts: 431 | Location: Billings, Montana USA | Registered: February 05, 2007
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Thanks to all that have contributed to this topic so far. All the info is very interesting.

It sounds as though the RR industry has evolved somewhat but it also sounds as though there is no industry wide standard such as the one Webb Ball instituted back after the days of the 'Kipton' wreck.

I guess this is like everything else we as a people do....we can't seem to learn from History!

Oh well, keep the conversation going, it is all very interesting.

What is so amazing to me is the vast amount of knowledge that is available here on IHC185 and so freely given, at the drop of a hat....it's astounding.

Regards,
Jerry

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Here verbatim is the CPR's latest Time rules:

CANADIAN CODE of OPERATING RULES, Revision of May, 2008

2. WATCHES

Every conductor, assistant conductor, locomotive engineer, pilot, foreman, snowplow foreman and other such employees as the company may direct, shall, when on duty, use a reliable watch that indicates the hours minutes and seconds in the twenty four hour system and shall;

(i) be responsible to ensure that it is in proper working condition so that it does not reflect a variation of more than thirty seconds in a twenty four (24) hour period;
(ii) set it to reflect the correct time if it reflects a variation of more than thirty seconds;
(iii) before commencing work, compare the time on their watch with a railway approved time source. Where a railway approved time source is not accessible, obtain the correct time from the RTC (Rail Traffic Controller) or by comparing with another employee who has obtained the correct time. Every crew member assigned to train, transfer or yard service shall compare time with one another as soon as possible after commencing work.

The following are railway approved time sources:
a.) The National Research Council Standard Time Signal;
b.) The U.S.A. National Bureau of Standards Time Signal; and
c.) CP approved time signals. Where such are available, they will be indicated in the timetable.

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Larry,

Thank you for that very interesting information.

I sounds and though the Canadian's still rely on proper and accurate time keeping in the operation of their train system, especially CPR....

Thanks again,

Jerry

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Loooks like one of the CPR people did'nt check the time on Wednesday . . .

DRESBACH, Minn. — A Wednesday morning train wreck sent a locomotive engine into the Mississippi River, left tracks strewn with the wreckage of mangled railroad cars and prompted the evacuation of a nearby veterans home.

Nobody was seriously injured in the crash, which remains under investigation. Officials spent the day assessing the damage caused when two Canadian Pacific freight trains collided at about 5 a.m. near the Interstate 90 exit north of Lock and Dam 7. Other train traffic will be rerouted, as cleanup of the wreckage and repairs to the tracks might stretch into the coming weeks, one official estimated.
Two Canadian-Pacific trains lie in ruin after they collided Wednesday morning near the Interstate 90 exit north of Lock and Dam No. 7 in Dresbach. Nobody was seriously injured in the early morning train wreck that sent a locomotive into the Mississippi River. The cause of the collision is under investigation. PETER THOMSON photo

The two westbound trains collided on a portion of tracks where the main line is flanked by a siding, a stretch of tracks where one train could pass another. The smaller train, 15 cars carrying freight pulled by two locomotive engines, crashed into the larger train, which had three locomotive engines and 100 cars, at the switch, said Winona County Sheriff Dave Brand. The smaller train struck the larger train near its midpoint, heavily damaging portions of both trains, sending the small train’s front locomotive into the river and crumpling its second locomotive.

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Yep, thanks Dave.... Eek

I didn't want to bring that one up....It is utterly amazing how two trains wind up on the same track at the same point....sounds as though a switch was frozen and didn't move when signaled to do so.

I don't know, maybe an engineer can explain how that occurs. Confused

As you pointed out though, there were no injuries.. Smile

Regards,
Jerry

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Well I wouldn't blame this accident on time keeping, it appears to me the small train traveling through the siding did not stop clear out the fouling point, went by a stop signal and collided with the larger train on the Main line. All kinds of factors can come into play here, signal malfunctions, crew fatigue,and weather conditions, luckily nobody was seriously injured. The cause of the accident will all come out in the investigation. Considering the amount of rail traffic that moves in North America daily, especially at this time of year with adverse weather conditions, accidents will happen.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Is that what is called "Asleep at the switch", or "Not on the Ball"?

IHC Life Member
Picture of John "cranster" McElhenny
posted

Posts: 349 | Location: Western New York in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 22, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
John, the 3-finger Elgins arrived today. Thank you for offering them on our IHC185 auction! Smile
If these Beautiful Seiko's are even 1/2 half my Bellmatic they should be a great watch. Even though I like my "lifetime (automatic) bettery" movement, and the alarm helps us old fuddy-dud's remember when we have to do things.

posted
I occasionally ride the Amtrak Cascade between Portland and Seattle. One of the regular conductors always carries a vintage railroad watch. He told me that he owns over fifty railroad watches, most of them in good running condition. I recall an Elgin BW Raymond, Hamilton 992, and an Illinois Bunn Special.

Posts: 148 | Location: Seattle, Washington in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Recruit him to join our IHC185! Smile

Picture of James H. Miller
posted
thats a nice train ride Robert i have taken it many times

Posts: 279 | Location: Wheatridge, Colorado in the USA | Registered: January 20, 2008