Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help fixing stripped out screw hole on Hamilton "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Is there any way to fix the female threads on the 3 threaded holes that hold the 3 dial mounting feet to the movement? I have a PL L. W. Fitzgerald, Harrisburg, Pa. Hamilton 934 size 18 with 17 jewels. The dial is very very bad and has many hairlines and chips and I will probably just put another Hamilton dial on the movement and keep the PL dial for the watch but not on watch.

When I removed the dial I noticed that one of the three tiny screws was missing half of it's head and the other two screws were loose. I went to put another temporary dial on and I noticed that the screws would not tighten down. I was only putting two of the screws in because the other one was missing half the head.

I put some aluminum foil in the hole and filed the feet so the screw would go further down into the hole. So does anyone know how to fix these holes or know anyone who can? I also need a couple of screws to replace the one with a broken head and one to replace anther one that is badly worn.

So if you know someone with a couple of screws to mount the dial or have any ideas on how to fix these holes I'm all ears. Also if anyone knows of the proper PL dial I am also interested.

I know I'm asking a lot but maybe someone can help. Thanks

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
Just checking, but are you sure the holes are stripped and not the screws? I ask because a while back I worked on a Hamilton 16s and someone used the wrong dial screws to hold the dial in. One was actually too short and the head would not allow it to seat correctly so it just spun in circles without touching the dial foot and the other screw was too thin and acted more like a peg than a screw. The dial was kept in by friction as the feet were somewhat pressed inward and flattened to make them "grip" the movmemnt. Just checking.

Posts: 407 | Location: Northern Virginia in the USA | Registered: October 08, 2011
IHC Member 1610
posted
You know Dan I'm really not sure now that you bring that up. I don't know the history of the watch. I did find a screw in my junk drawer like you said the head was to big and would not seat. I took it back out. The other two screws are slightly different from each other so maybe none of them go with the watch. The other two are holding though since I put some aluminum foil in the hole. I will have to take another watch apart to check those screws out. If you are correct then I will need 3 screws. Eek

Picture of Dan Carter
posted
I have not tried the aluminum foil fix. I guess it works by making the hole a bit tighter?

Posts: 407 | Location: Northern Virginia in the USA | Registered: October 08, 2011
IHC Member 1610
posted
It does but the only problem is I don't know how the three different types of metal will react with each other. I have a Hamilton 925 that I have decided will be a parts watch. I can take parts off it to keep 3 other watches going. The 925 was missing the regulator whip spring and was over wound. Somebody had to go and he was it. Anyway I will take the dial mounting screws from it and see if the are the same as the ones in my 934. Keep your fingers crossed.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
Harry you might be better off buying some old watch screws off the bay. I'm sure if you do a search you can find a pill bottle full for $15- $20. I have about a 1 pound tube full. This is true for every thing a person needs hands, screws, click springs. A friend of mine, Ethan came over and was in need of a lift spring. So I handed him my cigar box full of lift springs and said have fun.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
Here is a link:
Screws

Another link

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
I agree with buying a "can-o-screws" for the long term fix as well. It would be worth while I think to try a few screws from a similar movement just to find our what you really need and to pinpoint what the real problem is also. Then I would put them back on the original movement that was working so that you know you have at least one good watch with all it's parts Wink.

IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you Eugene,

I have a bunch of old screws like you recommend and I went through all of them but I think you are right I need a lot more. Thank you for the links. I collect mostly Hamilton so I'm going to try for the first like and also see what else I can find. Thank you.

Thank you Dan also,

I tried my 925 screws and they were too small and too short so I did as you suggested and put them back on the 925. I do need more screws so I guess I need to search Ebay. Eugene was kind enough to send me some links to get started. Thank you very much for your help.