Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Studebaker pin question "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1016
posted
Not sure where this belongs, but I found this today after I was at the watch and clock show. i know Studebaker made South Bend. Any thoughts?

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Member 1016
posted
Back side

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Member 1508
posted
Mike, I think this ten year pin belonged to someone who worked at the Studebaker Automobile plant. The watch company that was owned by the Studebaker brothers was South Bend. They were entirely separate companies. Regards, Brad

Posts: 956 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington in the USA | Registered: December 14, 2010
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

At the turn of the Twentieth Century the Studebaker Corporation was the world's largest manufacturer of wheeled goods. The corporation which began in 1852 was originally family owned, eventually became publicly held, during the depression went through receivership and recovered to continue producing cars through the 1966 model year.

Brad is correct, the pin that Mike found was given out upon ten years of service with the automobile company which was always separate from the watch company, here is a watch company history...

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...64101939/m/398107005

Debbie

Smile

Posts: 5327 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Now all you need is a Studebaker "Hawk" and put that pin in your lapel, and make the boulevard scene turn-a-round on a Saturday night Wink

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Member 1016
posted
Buster, are you offering a free car????? Big Grin

IHC Member 1508
posted
That is my favorite Studebaker! I wannnnt!!

Posts: 956 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington in the USA | Registered: December 14, 2010
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

That's a 1961 Studebaker Hawk the final year with (fins) wings!

Debbie

Smile

Posts: 5327 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
I've always liked the Silver Hawk and Golden Hawk models. I think that they are the most beautiful and proportionally perfect American cars ever built. It's a small miracle that the same factory could make such an ugly contraption as the Avanti.
That's my opinion of course, you are entitled to yours.

Regards, Krister.

Posts: 375 | Location: Backaryd, Sweden | Registered: April 19, 2009
Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
The Studebaker Corporation gave out pin awards for length of service. They started with a 5 year and we know of some 50 year pins. the most common are 5 and 10 year pins. We know of at least a 20 year in this series.

They started with larger pins about the size of a half dollar with the image of Clement Studebaker on them around 1900. In about 1920 they went to the smaller style like the one pictured in this post. They only used this series for a few years and we know of a 5, 10, 15, and 20 year in this series.

Sometime after the depression the company switched to a pin the same size but featured the lazy S design. We know of at least 1 50 year pin issued in this series.

Here is a photo of a 20 year pin I had made into a ring.

Posts: 900 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 28, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
A friend of mine's father was a jeweler in NYC and made jewelry for Raymond Loewy. He has a money clip that belonged to Raymond Loewy in 18K gold with Raymond Loewy's signature on it and something else engraved that I can't remember. I know he was willing to sell it for gold value at one time. If anyone is seriously interested in this item let me know and I'll get more info.

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008