Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help With a Hamilton 992 "Click" to Login or Register 
Life Member
posted
I have a 992 726030 dated from around 1908 it runs face down but comes to a halt face up. My question is does it need a new balance staff or just a good cleaning? and is there a member that can fix it?

Posts: 131 | Location: Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas in the USA | Registered: May 11, 2013
Life Member
posted
another

Posts: 131 | Location: Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas in the USA | Registered: May 11, 2013
Life Member
posted
one more

posted
While it is hard to say what is wrong without having the watch there are a few things that could be wrong.

1. The balance staff is bad. You can usually tell if the balance wobbles when you tilt the watch while its running. But it could also indicate...
2. The upper balance jewel is broken or the incorrect one.
3. The watch needs a good cleaning including taking all the jewels out of the watch so the junk between the hole jewel and the cap jewel is cleaned out.

There could be other reasons, but those are the most common that I have run into. Start by having the watch serviced if you cant do it yourself.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Chicago, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 05, 2010
Life Member
posted
Thank you for the reply I would rather not do it my self I do not have the experience yet to do it. I am learning more everyday. I am just not there yet.

Life Member
posted
How ever I do not see a wobble. I understand it would be hard to figure out without seeing the watch in person. I just figured to someone would of had the same problem.

posted
The problem is common, not running face up. But there isnt just one thing that can do it. Thats why I gave you 3 possibilities. It could turn out to be none of them, it could be a bad upper jewel on the pallet fork. Its less common that because most of the time the watch with a bad jewel on the fork pivot will not run at all. But I had one where it was bad and when the watch was fasce up the balance slowly stopped turning.
Im sure someone will be willing to service it for you. If not Chris Abell is a member here and also a certified watchmaker. Perhaps he can coa it.

Click here: Chris Abell

Posts: 1143 | Location: Chicago, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 05, 2010
Life Member
posted
Thank you sir I have sent a email to Chris.