Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Very early Illinois "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Now here's a real bother. A mdl 1 KWKS

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Well don't stop there David, let's see the movement. Cool

And if this topic goes well I might take mine out of the vault and show it. Big Grin

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
With a Movement Signed; O.W. Owen, Mc Henry ILL and also marked SW (overscribed) Co. 5547 (or maybe 547). This is certainly a very early Illinois predecessor Movement marked "SWCo." for the then existant Springfield Watch Co. This looks to be in restorable condition. I expect to see it next week, and in the meantime will be very interested in what anyone who is into Illinois history "turns up". I did find a C&O RR Watch inspector "Wm Owen" in Cincinnatti around 1893, but this watch pre-dates him by 20 years. The pic is horrible, but I will do better when it arrives.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
It came in and here's a little better pic of the movement. It is trying to run, I guess I gotta do the archeological "dig" through all that fossilized fish brain oil to get this little puppy up and flying. The S/N IS S(pringfield) W(atch) Co. 5541 VERY EARLY Ilinois in extremely restorable condition! The case is even tight! Need a Guard Ring tho for the Key Wind.

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Dave,
Check your e-mail for the key guard.
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Thanks Brian. Also I found my "new" Currier! It's a little younger! NOW I remember why this looked so familiar! Gotta research the other private label tho . .

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
My "old" Currier is even a smidgeon older than the Owens. But it shows the original style winding guard ring.