Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Case Problem "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1508
posted
Hi all. I've got a problem with a case I purchased quite some time ago. It is a 16s Star "Stellar". Not the greatest in the world, but it is pretty, and sturdy. I just got the bezel back from William with a new crystal in it. The problem is that when I put a movement in it, the bezel won't seat completely. There's always a slight gap between the frame and the bezel. Without a movement, it will screw down tight. It is really #@^^&*( me off! And I hate to have to sell it as I just spent the money for the new crystal. Any suggestions? Thanks. Brad

Posts: 956 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington in the USA | Registered: December 14, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Brad, some of the early movements have thicker dial plates which prevent the 1930's and later cases such as your "Steller" from seating the crystal bezel. Without knowing what movement you are trying to case, the first recommendation I have is save the case and try to find a nice earlier vintage case for this problem movement.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 48
Picture of Keith Klimkowicz
posted
Brad

The movement that you installed is it a lever set watch? Some times the the lever will prevent the case to close properly. Check the clearance of the lever above the dial. Also if it is an older movement it will be to thick for this more modern case.

Regards
Keith

Posts: 856 | Location: North Ridgeville, Ohio USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 1508
posted
Thanks Dave and Keith. The movement I was trying to put in it was my 1918 Burlington 21j. Yes, I know, sacrilege. But I wear my watches in the watch pocket of my jeans, and those high-necked Burlington cases that it's supposed to be in stick up way too high. Brad

Posts: 956 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington in the USA | Registered: December 14, 2010
posted
I had similar issues; bought several movements to fill some cases I generated by recasing more appropriately... Thickness prevented many from 190x and 191x dates from fitting in more modern cases...another (expensive) lesson learned. Just because its a 16s case doesn't mean the 16s watch will fit. A dremel tool converts non lever to lever ... but the thickness is another matter.

Gary

Posts: 586 | Location: Bastrop, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2011