Tools
Reply to Post

Here are a couple of interesting questions... "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Everyone,

I have two questions about a watch we are selling at auction to benefit the family of Gary Moore who is one of our deceased members.

The first question involves the inscription on the cuvette and initials on the case-front. On the inscription shown in the image below you will see the letters "T.W.F." and the number "27" appear. Clearly the watch was a gift from John Lubitz to Grace Warren Wiley on the date shown.

However, on the cartuche the initials are "G.L." which could indicate that Grace and John may have been married subsiquent to this particular gift. Does anyone know what the letters "T.W.F." and number "27 might mean? And could this have been a gift during their courtship?

Below, the "T.W.F." and "27" shown are puzzling...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

My second question involves the unusual content markings on this Pennsylvania Watch Case Company case that is to every inspection indication is in fact solid-gold. The description shown inside the cuvette implies that perhaps the outer covers are 14K solid-gold and the inner is 10K solid-gold, or in the alternative it could even mean a "sandwich" of both 14K and 10K solid gold was used in manufacturing this particular case.

I recall having read about two layers of solid-gold being fused together along the lines of how the gold-filled process works and of course that would still be solid-gold. I do not recall where I read that information... and don't ask what I had for lunch either. I did find reference to the "XXX" as shown being Pennsylvania Watch Case Company of York, Pennsylvania and 1900-1920 shown as their years in business.

Odd Pennsylvania Watch Case Company markings...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Lindell,

I assumed T.W.F. meant "Time With Firm" and the 27 meant 27 years.

Regards,

- Greg

Posts: 254 | Location: Washington State, Northwest USA | Registered: April 21, 2003
Picture of Sam Williamson
posted
"T.W.F" ,To Wear Forever? The 27 might have a special meaning, such as a date, an address-doubt that we'll ever know.

Sam Williamson

Posts: 618 | Location: Northwestern Florida in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 27, 2002
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Just speculation, but I think Greg's "Time With Firm 27 (yrs)" theory makes a lot of sense. That type of inscription would be consistent with this watch being presented on the occasion of the lady's retirement from her job when she was about to get married.

In 1911, this would have been the normal societal expectation for a woman, as it was felt that a wife should expect to stay home and be supported by her husband.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
Picture of Sam Williamson
posted
Getting married after working for 27 years? Was John the boss or owner? Hmmmmm......

Sam Williamson

Posts: 618 | Location: Northwestern Florida in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 27, 2002
posted
Maybe Grace was a widow? Unusual for a woman to have a surname (Warren) as her middle name.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Once again, "Oh if these watches could only talk" comes to mind.

This is very interesting!

Smile

Posts: 5222 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002