• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

V&C "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Because of the interest in the recent IHC auction item, the Vacheron & Constantin pocket watch, I thought I would post a few pictures of mine. Several years ago my Dad had in his collection the V&C and an 18-size Illinois Bunn 21-j, open face movement in a 14-K box hinge hunter case. He decided to pass them on to my brother and me and I was offered first choice. I took the V&C and the Bunn went to my brother. I suppose I made the correct choice, although the Bunn was spectacular.
The case is a Keystone 18K and the bow must be high-carat gold also, since there's wear in the middle.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
posted
Here's the back of the case. It's not dented, that's the way the camera saw the image.

posted
The front bezel is hinged and flips open like a hunter case when the crown is depressed.

posted
Here's the movement. The case has a cuvette beneath the back cover and then there's a glass over the movement. I think it's about 18 size. Note the wording for the adjustment information. There is no indication of the number of jewels. The arbor for the mainspring is square, so I suppose it could be wound with a key, although it's stem wind and set.

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
These are beautiful watches! If there is a cap jewel on the pallet bridge this is probably a 21-jewel movement - among the best of the era. I have information on the patented regulator that I will post later this evening. Are you sure it is a J.Boss case? That would be gold filled, but I have not seen before a gold-filled case with Jurgensen lips.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
posted
You're right, it's not a J.Boss case. My error, I should have looked at the case marks when I had it open, it is a Keystone case, guaranteed to be 18K US assay. The pallet bridge does have a cap jewel.

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
The micrometer regulator on your watch is made according to this 1884 U.S. patent, assigned to Vacheron & Constantin by the inventors.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Later movements have this regulator which is mechanically the same. The May 24,1904 date refers to Swiss patent #31052.

Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
There are lots of Hellebush's in Cincinnati! Can you tell me what the first initial is? Is it a B?

So what year is this watch? Best guess.

Really nice watch.

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
Sheila,

The initial is C. I think he was probably an upscale jeweler in Cincinnati aroung 1900.

posted
Hi,
Well, this name is really a bad one!

BUT.........

I did find this Ad. It's for Longines, and it has the name Clemens Hellebush. ?????

He is listed here as "Sole Longines Agent for Cincinnati". Check it out.

Not too good but something.

Sheila

Hellebush00w

posted
This is what it came from. It's from 1875.
You can see it here:

http://stampauctionnetwork.com/zi/zi3478.cfm

Sheila

Hellebush00ww

posted
Sheila & Jerry,
Thanks for the information, I appreciate your efforts.

posted
John,
I realize there may be no connection to this Hellebush at all, however I found no C. Hellebush anywhere except this one. There are many Hellebush's in Cincinnati, and elsewhere, but none with the C connection. That's why I thought this was interesting. May be a connection considering he is connected to the Watch industry.

The watch you posted sure is pristine, (to me) and even though I have no talent for foreign watches at all, I do know a beautiful watch when I see one. Very nice watch! You just have to be very proud of it. Thanks for sharing it.

Sheila