Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

The 999F that I bought from Tom "Click" to Login or Register 
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Here is the 999F that I got from Tom. Prettied up a bit with a new suit of cloths and on it's way to Chris for his magic.

Original sale

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
posted
Looks pretty good for an amateur. Smile

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
IHC Life Member
Picture of Tom Weinstock
posted
looks great! nice work! Smile

Posts: 496 | Location: Wisconsin in the USA | Registered: March 10, 2012
posted
Phillip,

Great job on the dial!

Any ideas on how to get the 17 Jewels etching off this movement?

Posts: 881 | Location: Arroyo Grande, California USA | Registered: February 22, 2004
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
posted
Bill, it is just amazing that someone would be so ignorant as to do that.These RR Watch Co.Watches are so rare that doing anything as drastic as what it would take to remove that abomination is just too risky.
My research shows that there are only 14 now known to exist. Of course I could be wrong and it would not be the first time.
Imagine how it was to work on that dial knowing that just a slip and the tears would start.
I am still learning and if I had to do it over I know that I could do a better job./ There is no worry here that the patch will fall out like using that wax stuff. I went to an art studio to get the paint matched.

posted
Nice work, Phil. All that experience with crayons finally paid off. Big Grin

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
posted
Great job Phil! FWIW I have 17 reported in the Ball & CO list. Only 200 of these were ever produced and they are definitely hard to come by.

Even more amazing that it would be marked 17J when it only has 16! Lucky for me I have a 2nd example in better shape. It might be fun to put the damaged one up for auction and see what it brings.

happy hunting

Posts: 881 | Location: Arroyo Grande, California USA | Registered: February 22, 2004
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
posted
Bill, Thank you for that info.
If you do put it up for auction would you please send me the link? I would be very interested also.
Do you happen to know what the last one that was on Ebay brought?

IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Phil,
What procedure did you use to clean the dial?
Tony

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
posted
Tony, pretty much like I clean all of my dials. I put them upside down in a beaker with just enough comet to cover the dial, then into the cheap little ultrasonic for 120 seconds.

posted
Phil,

I haven't tracked prices. I recall my 20969 going for 1500ish but it was listed on Ebay without any mention of the Ball connection and that might have lessened the number of potential buyers.

It also had a broken balance staff, which turned out to be a blessing as it seems to be a very lightly used watch.

posted
Phil, back up for a student... please tell me a bit about this watch. What page in the new catalogue is this? do tell, I am all ears.

Posts: 5101 | Location: Buffalo, New York in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2009
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
posted
Andy, what catalog are you asking about?
Just do a search, there is some good info right here on 185.
Bill Kapp & Lindell probably know as much about these watches as anyone in the world.

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Phil, Andy is probably talking about the new Price Guide....

Andy, if I am wrong just speak up....but Phil is absolutely correct with what he said regarding this site and Lin & Bill....

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Tom Weinstock
posted
It's on page 151...third from the bottom.

Posts: 496 | Location: Wisconsin in the USA | Registered: March 10, 2012
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
posted
Here is the new and improved 999f. Changed cases again, installed hands to more closely match those of Bill Kapp's original and best of all an awesome complete service from Chris.
I have a lot better case but I could not get the sucker to sit down.

Going on sale next week when I get back from Washington.