Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Give me your watches...on the pages silly! "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
I NEED WATCHES! I'M in withdrawal, I've been away so long, that I need to see some beauties in here, and I need them now.

Share any, of what you have really enjoy recently, or in the past too.

Shoot, you can post a picture of your nose, I don't care, I need to reconnect with all my friends, and you guys are the best there is.

Please hurry, I'm fading fast.

hehehehe

Hope everyone is well, and

I'M BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Big Grin Eek Big Grin Big Grin

This watch is another junk watch that I picked up to make a list of the parts of a watch for my reference. I may need to pick up some additional parts, but it will work. It's actually a size 18s, and the SN is 13752507 and not the one on the box.

Now show me yours!!!!

Sheila

Elgin 13752507

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
IHC Member 179
E. Howard Expert
Picture of Harold Visser
posted
Here's a beauty for you, Howard and Dennison hired two watchmaker brothers O.B. and D.S. Marsh to make an eight day watch, they made two and were allowed to keep them. Two mainsprings, eight day running time, made in 1852....

Posts: 352 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Sheila, as the Master Archivist and researcher of names of note, I felt that you might help with this one . . .

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
While Brian C. and I wait patiently for the arrival of a certain "special" watch restoration project item . . . .

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Hint, The Stanton Solon dial is hiding a particular nice (but I will make it nicer) Hampden Movement . . .

posted
Harold,

Your watch is OUTSTANDING!

Congratulations on a Beautiful find!

David,
I think that the name is Solon Stanton because there were no names the other way around, and quite a few as Solon Stanton.
I found the one that I think best fits your watch. He was from Tenn. and just about everyone on the page was a Rail Road worker.
Solon's sister worked as a clerk in a RR office, and he was a Hotel worker. Almost all of the other Stanton's were farmers, so I think we have a fit. Do you?
Pretty nice watch too!

OK, about the "special watch" It is finally on it's way today. Needless to say, it has been the most hectic month of my life, but all is finally finished, until next month, when everyone goes back for doctors and tests. You will see it real soon.

I can't wait for you guys to take a look at it.

Last,
I finally found the first watch above for taking apart, because I DON'T have to do it myself!!!
Now that's a good way to get passed taking a watch apart huh? I'm going to get all the parts for it, frame it, and use it for parts names for myself.

After all this time, I still have a problem remembering the names of parts, and this will really help.

I know it won't be complete, but it sure will help.

Balance staff?
Click?
WHAT? HUH?

Nailed to the wall above my desk, and this will be a long awaited helper.

Sheila

Stanton 1920 Census-w

IHC Member 179
E. Howard Expert
Picture of Harold Visser
posted
Sheila, much as I wish that watch to be mine, it's home is actually at the Henry Ford Museum.

Posts: 352 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
posted
Harold,
After I posted David's link to Stanton, I was going to ask you about it, It really is so Beautuful, and deserving of a museum.

I have seen a lot of unusual and finely engraved movements, and this is one has to be one of the nicest.

See, this is what I mean by posting really nice movements for all to see. I would never get to see this any other way.

Thank you for sharing it with us. I love it!

Sheila

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Thanks Sheila, I was (as usual) thinking of the "Solon" as some sort of ( Roll Eyes) establishment, but the Naming would start at 1 O'clock to work, making that a first name for sure.
Can you send me the link to what you found about this guy again please?

posted
David,
I was just downloading it in an e-mail for you. I can't give you the site, because it's only accessable with a premium membership, but I will send the page on to you.
I tried to post it here, but it didn't do too well.
On it's way.

Check your e-mail

Sheila

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Good match! The watch is vintage 1903 or so, and the records are 1910 when he (told the census taker) was an "up and coming" 30 years old! That works for me! I wonder if that was to "impress the girls", as Solon Stanton was still listed as single.

posted
I did find him at 44, and I can't tell if he was married or not, too messy, but he did change jobs. I could not find him in the marriage records, because in Tenn. they didn't match birth dates, or anything else, that would connect them, and there were too many Salon Stanton's to know for sure. It would be impossible to know if he was one of them.
I'll send you that one too when I get back into the site later tonight.

Sheila