Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton 990 vs 992 thickness "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Just curious....was the Hamilton 992 thicker than its predecessor the 990?

I know, odd question, but something came up in trying to fit a 990 to a Hamilton case that made me wonder.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3832 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
Mark I don't think the 990 is any different in size or a predecessor to the 992. The 990 and 992 existed at the same time up until around 1917 or so when Hamilton stopped production of the 990. The 990 is a much better grade than the 992 even though they both were 21j 16s.

The 990 would not have been factory cased so if you are trying to put it into a 20's Hamilton factory case I can't comment, but if you try to put it into any long/mid stem 16s case it will pop right in and so will the 992 of the same vintage.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Thanks, Claude.

That's what I'm doing, and did.

As you say, fits perfectly into a long stem turn of the century case, but sits a bit deeper in a early 20's Hamilton case, so that's what prompted my question.

Needless to say, it now resides in the long stem case, but it not really fitting the Hamilton case puzzles me.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3832 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
I never thought of trying to stuff one in a Hamilton factory case but on some cases the dial appeared to be a bit thicker and would lock up the bezel at times.

Not being a "hard-core Hammy" I just took it as being one of those things that goes with the brand. I have two 990's and both are excellent runners and look great too.

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I have the one 990, (carrying it at this moment) and love it. I just thought I'd try to move it into a model 3 case from the 1920's. Didn't fly. The case seemed deeper than the movement would fill.

Looked nice, though.

Oh well. Looks and carries fine in it's long stem case.

Regards! Mark

posted
From what I have seen there are two basic versions, the earlier 2 screw and the later one screw version. I am not sure why people don't jump on them since there were less made and it was a better grade than the typical 992 in the same time-frame. I have the 990,992 and the 993 but missing the 991>hunter version of the 990.

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Mine is a two screw. Agreed. They're not that available, and yet when they DO surface, they just hang out there, don't they?

Regards! Mark

posted
The first Pocket Watch that I ever bought in 1972 was a circa 1903 Hamilton 990. I still have it. It's in a low Stem R.R. type Keystone case.
I've never had it out of the case.
I don't think they are any thicker. At $ 60
I guess it was a good deal..... It still runs Great.

Posts: 352 | Location: Southeast Michigan in the USA | Registered: March 22, 2012
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
WOW! $60! You did good....but then, in 1972, that was a lot of money! It was for me!

According to my cost of living calculator, that is equal to $325.36 in 2012 dollars.

Regards! Mark

posted
Maybee not so good then ......

Posts: 352 | Location: Southeast Michigan in the USA | Registered: March 22, 2012
posted
In 72 I think gas was still 30 some cents. Ah still a good buy even back then.

posted
The $ 60 was a small fortune to me at the time.
I was thinking, Well I'm only going to ever buy 1 pocket watch and I'll carry it all the time.
But when I got it home and really realized just how nice it was, I could'nt carry it much.
I next bought a 18s 7J Waltham in a well worn
base metal case for about $ 15. That one I carried for many years in many conditions.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
Mark I put my 992 against my 990 I am restoring and they are the same thickness. Personally I like the 990 better than the 992 and I guess that goes along with liking the 950 better than the 950b. I do not see the 990 offered much but I think the folks who have a casual idea of a railroad pocket watch know that a 992 Hamilton is one so they probably are not aware of the various grades. I have many times been assured that the Bunn Special was the top of the line Illinois railroad watch and the Sangamo never came up.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Thanks Richard! That definitely answers my question with your comparison.

Guess it was just the case itself.

MUCH appreciated!

Regards! Mark

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Ah, thanks to Mark's interesting question here's a chance to share one of my favorite pictures of one of my all-time favorite watches. Wink We have a lot of Hamilton 990 information which makes for fun reading.

Hamilton 990 number 374629 from my collection...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 1508
posted
Beautiful Lin! I think that my next purchase is gonna be a 990! And it will DEFINITELY be going into a salesman's display case. It is so good looking, it would be a shame not to be able to see it. Regards, Brad

Posts: 956 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington in the USA | Registered: December 14, 2010
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Thanks gentlemen! Makes me glad that particular case DIDN'T work, as my 'backup plan' was a tall stem display case that it fits perfectly in....so, it was a blessing in disguise. Smile

They are, indeed, gorgous movements. Don't know WHAT I was thinking about when I tried to make it work in that close backed case! There are some days when I question my own sanity. Roll Eyes

Other days, I realize it's a lost cause and just go on with what I was doing..... Big Grin

Regards! Mark