WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Welcome Aboard IHC185™     Internet Horology Club 185    IHC185™ Discussion Site Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Horological Discussions, Questions and Answers  Hop To Forums  Pocket Watch Discussions    There are Illini and then there are Illini--Hunt fort the Holy Grail
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

There are Illini and then there are Illini--Hunt fort the Holy Grail "Click" to Login or Register 
12-Size Expert
Picture of Robert Schussel
posted
With the recent acquistion of a 12 size 23j Illini in a solid gold factory case I completed my quest to obtain a set of scarce Illini that are all factory cased in gold cases. You might say that the 23j Illini was my secret Santa Gift--from myself

My guess is that only 4 or 5 sets like this exist. My 23j Illini appears to have a refinished dial but it is well done.I do have another 23j Illini in a gold filled case if anyone is interested in it.

My hunt was inspired by a set( 12 size grade 528 was not included) that was put up for sale on Ebay. The Seller was unwilling to breakup the set even though several of us tried to tell him that he could get a better price. It was sold to a NAWCC Director who sold at least one of the watches to friends.

1Upper Left is a 13 size 21j Illini in an Empire case with a handcarved dialed.This was the most expensive gold cased Illini sold--$220.To date I have only seen 3 of these Illini with this dial.

2)Lower left 13 size Illini Extra in an 18kt case. Estimated number of reserved serial numbers--330.

3)Upper Right 12 size 23j Illini--200 serial numbers reserved. This appears to be the first Illinois watch with burnished jewels.Until a few years ago only 3 examples were known. I estimate that less than 10 have been seen to date.
Very little is known about this grade.

4) Lower Right 12 size 21j Illini grade 528. Probably 600 or less were produced. Some think that part of the production was used in making the Hamilton grade 400.

Posts: 621 | Location: Vallejo, California U.S.A. | Registered: July 10, 2004
12-Size Expert
posted
13 size 21j Illini mvt

12-Size Expert
posted
13 size 21j Illni Extra mvt

12-Size Expert
posted
12 size 23j Illini mvt

12-Size Expert
posted
12 size 21j Illini Grade 528 mvt

posted
Robert,
Those are really great examples of hard to find watches.
Thanks for showing them to us all,
Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Congratulations on assembling the set!

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
12-Size Expert
posted
Ethan
Thanks

I had assumed by some of your recent purchases you were one of the few who also had put together a similar set.

Bob

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Robert,

Very nice collection you have going there. I just realized while looking through items I didn't win that you were the one that beat me out of that A. Lincoln 410 look alike. I wasn't actively pursuing it but glad to see that it was you that got it. I had also thought of going after the 23 jewel in the upper right photo but let it slide on by. Maybe we have similar taste in the 12 size.

Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
12-Size Expert
posted
Steve
I was very fortunate that there was very little interest in 12 size watches when I was putting together much of my collection.

As I have said on many occasions if these were RR watches they would go for at least $5K to $10K.
They were some of the finest and low production watches Illinois produced.

There are some trophy collectors who go after some of the high grade 12 size if they are in a gold case but distain most other 12 size.

My purpose is to try to show people some of the highest quality and magnificient 12 size Illinois watches ever made. Hopefully it might convince a few people that there is more to life than Bunn Specials and Hamilton 950/992.

Bob

posted
Bob,

The 23-jewel Illini appears to be the twin of the 410 in terms of bridges but with the addition of burnished jewels and lacking the decoration. Is it a "thin" watch compared to the 410?

Mike

Posts: 292 | Location: Vancouver, Washington, USA | Registered: May 19, 2005
12-Size Expert
posted
Michael

The 23j Illini has the same thickness as the 410.

It ,like some other 12 size Illinois needed an "Autocrat" case. This meant you had to buy a 12 size Illinois case as it would not fit a regular 12 size case.

Bob