Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

watch storage "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of James H. Miller
posted
hi
how often should we wind all the watches in our collections?i think the oil gets sticky if they sit to long.i try to wind all of mine every 6 to 8 weeks it takes a long time to dig them all out wind them and put them away.is there a set amount of time this should be done at?

Posts: 279 | Location: Wheatridge, Colorado in the USA | Registered: January 20, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Technically ( Roll Eyes ) I expect that watches that are lubed with the newer synthetic oils needn't be run very much unless you are using them.

For a FACT, if you have an older watch that has gooey sticky stuff all over the movement, that is "still running", please let it sit until it can be properly cleaned.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
The best advice I was ever given by a major collector, he stored his in trays, partially wound them once a month and alternated between face up and face down, this made good sense to me, of course as Dave says if its old oil, it will go gooey or dust etc will contaminate new oils and no short cutting a good service with correct modern oils when needed.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
Picture of James H. Miller
posted
ok guys thanks

Posts: 279 | Location: Wheatridge, Colorado in the USA | Registered: January 20, 2008