• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham Crescent Street Question "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I ran across a 16s Crescent Street 21J Model 1908 adjusted to 5 positions from 1926 yesterday. I was surprised when I got home and consulted my Price Guide that the value didn't seem to be as high as I would have expected. Less than a comparable Bunn or 992, I believe. Why would that be? What made it interesting to me was that the case stated that it was timed and cased at the Waltham factory. I would like to hear what others have to say.

Eric Wells

Posts: 137 | Location: Merrimack, New Hampshire in the USA | Registered: December 18, 2012
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
That would be all about "demand". There is just more demand for a Bunn Special or a Hamilton 992 than there is for a Waltham 21J Crescent St.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
posted
I just bought a Crescent Street wind indicator...nice looking movement and relatively scarce...will post pics when servicing is complete..

Posts: 383 | Location: Northern Pennsylvania USA | Registered: April 04, 2007
IHC Member 1110
posted
Eric,I think the Crescent St. was/is one of the best railroad watches, they made a huge number of them so that says they sold well, but like Buster said, they aren't as popular for some reason. I have a 16s '08 model # 20083446, it still will give a quartz watch a run for the money!A set it and forget it watch if ever there was one...Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
posted
Interesting. Is the factory case the rule or the exception for these watches?

Eric Wells

Posts: 137 | Location: Merrimack, New Hampshire in the USA | Registered: December 18, 2012
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The factory cased Crescent Street in 1922 seems a bit strange. A picture of the case markings would help. The Crescent Street of your vintage is easily the equal to the Higher (collector) valued Illinois and/or Hamilton. Remember Waltham used the attributes of these watches to make one of the finest and highest value "Bridge Movement" E Howard series when they were just getting going again. Yours is probably similar to one that passed through my collection. Waltham did add one improvement to these later though when they replaced the cap jewels for the escape wheel with Jeweled Motor bearings. An excellent carry piece.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
I have a 1925 Crescent Street in an Elgin Giant swing out case. It has a dial which is single sunk but has a black ring inside of the numbers. It was the first RR grade watch I bought and it's an excellent runner.

Posts: 328 | Location: Plattsburgh, New York in the USA | Registered: December 17, 2012