WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Welcome Aboard IHC185™     Internet Horology Club 185    IHC185™ Discussion Site Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Horological Discussions, Questions and Answers  Hop To Forums  Pocket Watch Discussions    Keystone Howard Series 1 Dial - Is this a Moorhouse design ? c1912 ?
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Keystone Howard Series 1 Dial - Is this a Moorhouse design ? c1912 ? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1124
posted
This is my 21j 16s Howard serial #1100329. I believe it is referred to as a Series 1 although it is unmarked as such. Some research shows that the factory called these Series 10 but the safety barrel makes it more closely related to the Series 1. Any comments on this watch are greatly appreciated. Runs great and keeps perfect time.

The main reason for this post is about the dial. After a lot of searching, I haven't seen one with only blue seconds and sub-seconds. Also, by this time of Keystone Howard production, was Howard still using actual Moorhouse designed dials, or were these just Moorhouse inspired ? I really love this dial and the whimsical flourishes on the Arabic numerals always make me smile! The older signed Moorhouse dials were truly works of art and many are one of a kind, but this one seems like maybe a throwback tribute to the recent memory of a great dial artist.

What say you ?

©harles

Dial

Posts: 134 | Location: South New Jersey in the USA | Registered: April 11, 2008
IHC Member 1124
posted
Stunningly beautiful movement design

©harles

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
While your dial is a handsome dial it isn't a Moorhouse signed, "styled" nor "influenced" dial. Your watch is from 1912.

Yours is a fancy "Curly-Q" style dial that Burlington also used on some of their Getty watches, they generally are seen on H/C models with the Blue 5 minute markers and the diamond pointers in black.

Joshia Moorhouse was the dial room foreman from about 1884 to about 1894 at the Howard factory and it has been estimated he signed about 400-500 of his dials. It seems that 99% of the dials exhibit the "Mulberry" design at the 15 minute marks.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Here is the signed Moorhouse dial on my Howard L size.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Here is the signature.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Member 1124
posted
They are a couple of real gems you have there Buster and Ethan. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and your pictures. IMHO this is what the hobby and this place is all about.

©harles