Tools
Reply to Post

Quiz and a photographic tip "Click" to Login or Register 
12-Size Expert
Picture of Robert Schussel
posted
1) Why did this 13 size Illini come in a 15kt
case?

2) Other than being in a 15kt case what makes this Illini Pocket Watch unusual?

Both this picture and the one of the case were made with an F2.8 135mm Macro lens. These lens maintain extreme sharpness even at 1:1 reproduction ( such as the 15k picture). If you are going to be photographing a lot of watches it may make sense to ge a Macro Len.

Bob

Posts: 621 | Location: Vallejo, California U.S.A. | Registered: July 10, 2004
12-Size Expert
posted
Here is the 15K mark on the case.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Well this is just a wild guess, is it that it has only two screws on the ratchet wheel?

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
12-Size Expert
posted
Tom
A hint--it has nothing to do with anything mechanical.

Bob

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Well then I give up, 13 size rare & 15K but since you said those are not it I will have to wait & see.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Robert,

This "adjusted" Illini is a fine grade of pocket watch movement. It was adjusted to 5 positions in the factory over a period of a few months or more. It's a special and fine movement that wasn't cheap. Not unusual to find one of these in a gold case. Can we see the dial? Happy Holidays!

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Bob, though I collect Illinis, I don't see anything usual about yours apart from the 15k case. I have 5 Illini 3 in 14k and 2 in 18k. One of my Illini is number 3,649,443, 29 numbers later than yours. The movements seem identical. Here is the dial side.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
And the back

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
And inside the rear cover

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Finally,the movement

IHC Member 1124
posted
My guess is that it was made for sale to the British market or perhaps it was cased overseas. The Brits are known for seemingly odd Karats such as 9K.

Just my guess.

©harles

Posts: 134 | Location: South New Jersey in the USA | Registered: April 11, 2008
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

My thoughts dovetail with Charlie's thinking it was most likely cased in Europe.

Great topic Bob! Smile

Lindell Wink

Everyone, look closely at Ethan's picture Cool enlarged and cropped below this message.

Answer this... What is unique about the click and what is it called?

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Ted Steuernagel
posted
hi All! By the looks of it only has teeth half way around it. Ted

Posts: 335 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
It is the "5 tooth pinion & click" with a Jeweled Barrel, and also oddly sized movement cut slightly over 12 size. Sorta "Swissy" lookin.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
12-Size Expert
posted
I will answer the whats unusal part first.

Hallmark (Macys Private label) is the only Private Label Illini that I am aware of. Hallmark Illini seem to be scarce--I have only seen 3 of them.

however the question hasn't been answered why the 15k case.
Bob

12-Size Expert
posted
Here how the case is marked

posted
used karat higher than 14 as a way for lesser known case makers to assure the buyer of a quality case?

Posts: 292 | Location: Vancouver, Washington, USA | Registered: May 19, 2005
posted
By the way here is my Illinois/Illini/Hallmark but with an Illinois dial in a Hallmark case.

posted
here is the case mark

posted
and the movement

posted
Believe the five tooth click was an invention of DeLong.

Also, I've heard two versions regarding the "hallmark" name. One is the Macy's version. The other is that Hallmark was the name used by a jewelry wholesaler, believe it was United Jewelry or something like that. I've never seen good documentation for either so I don't know for sure.

12-Size Expert
posted
Michael
You answered the second part correctly.

I have seen ads for my watch that indicate that the buyer can be assured that they are getting what they pay for in the case.

Mike,I would bet that your watch had a Hallmark dial.I don't think the factory would have put an Illinois dial on a case made for Hallmark.

Bob

12-Size Expert
posted
Here is a better view of the click

posted
With as few of these, both Illini and Hallmark, I think it is very doubtful it was redialed. Like I mentioned, I have heard two stories on Hallmark. One is the Macy's story and the other is as a jeweler. If the jeweler is correct, they could have easily both made cases for Illinois and sold their private label for distribution by Macy's. All supposition and probably not enough examples of any of them to know for sure.

posted
Apparently, the Macy's "brand" was not Hallmark at all. Another thread over there suggested that Hallmark might have been a case maker for early thin watches which might also explain the Illinois dial with a Hallmark case on my watch.

I have a second Hallmark watch which has an Illinois made movement but that movement is actually marked Hallmark. That would seem to be a more likely situation for a "private" label watch where the case, dial and movement are all marked with the private label.

Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Why is the top of the plate carved off?

Or is it?

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Sheila,

If I understood Lindell's explanation on that a week or so ago, that 5 tooth click moves around that track in the gear underneath it. It would be nice to see a video clip of that. That would really explain it.

Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Apparently this is a complicated issue. Roll Eyes

The reference Michael refers to is in "American Pocket Watches" the 1999 Edition on numbered Page 290 and you will see it appended below this message. I will either print a copy and place it in Page 242 of my "Illinois Encyclopedia" for future reference or simply cross out "R. H. Macy Co., New York - New York - Ca 1917-1921" and replace it with "The United Jewelers, Inc. - Ca 1916-1924" as a notation. Wink Do it in pencil, it could turn out Macy's was right all along!

Hallmark Private-Label listing Michael mentioned...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
12-Size Expert
posted
Lindell
The list has an error.

Grade 410 is 23 jewels not 21 jewels.Also the Hallmark Illini is not included.

posted
Agree, the list shows a 510 (not 410) as 21 jewels and it is in fact a 23 jewel movement. Here is a picture of mine including the Hallmark name on the movement.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Here is a nice Illinois 510 from my collection.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Donald Trumble
posted
It might be worthwhile to find out who actually owned the "Hallmark" trade mark pertaining to watches and jewelry in the 1920s time frame. That trade mark may have been owned by United Jewelers but the products marketed by R. H. Macy and Company or Macy's may have owned or were at least connected with United Jewelers . Of course the trade mark could have been owned by either company or another company altogether and used under license. Trade mark information should be readily available.

Another source of information could be checking 1920s Macy's advertising to see what they were selling.

All we really know at this point is that William Meggers published conflicting and therefore confusing information with no explanation as to what it meant. I'm not certain we have the answer, just because one was published later is not necessarily definitive.

Once into the trade mark information, also check "Hallmark" as a trade mark for watch cases.

We should keep an open mind and not jump to any conclusions.

Just a few thoughts, see if any of them help.

Don

Posts: 504 | Location: Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: April 02, 2005
posted
It would appear that Mr. Meggars published corrected information as opposed to conflicting information regarding these Hallmark watches. There is no additional mention of Macy's in the updated information from what I've heard.

Of course you are correct that it would be interesting to know if Macy's might have been a retailer (probably were as they retailed pretty much everything else) or part owner/owner of United Jewelers (highly speculative and maybe could be proved/disproved from trademark research but a big "if").

Until other information turns up I think the United Jewelry source is the much stronger position.