Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Private Label, anyone ? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Does anyone do private label watches?
I would like to find out about my Elgin Pansy.

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Here's what Sheila is referring to...

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=3206049661&f=1086047761&m=683103153

Hope that helps keep it in context.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Shiela,

First, it might be a good idea to print this reply and then follow the instructions.

Second, click on the following hot link.

PANSY

When you get to this website, click on your "edit button" at the top of your browser page and then click on "find in this page" from the options that will appear.

Then enter the word pansy in the little window that opens up.

Then slowly scroll down the page, looking in the lefthand column, and you will see where the word PANSY has been highlighted in blue.

This will show you what I have found for your Pansy watch.

Hope this helps.

IHC President
Life Member
posted

OK, here is the information Phil uncovered on a similar Elgin "Pansy" Watch...

Name: "Pansy" Serial Number 7025135

Date of Production: 1897

Description: 0s, Gr109, Model 1, 7j

Movement: "Pansy" and "Elgin U.S.A."

Comment: Fancy dial w/picture of pansy; outline of pansy on movement

No other information is available there.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Sheila,

I'm not sure where you're getting "Private Label" in connection with your O-size Elgin watch. It may be of course, but the other "Pansy" Phil found comes back as one of 315,000 Grade 109 Seven-Jewel Elgins built between 1890 and 1899 inclusive...

http://elginwatches.org/cgi-bin/elgin_sn?sn=7025135&action=search

If you supply an image of your movement and the markings on your case we might be able to help you determine exactly what you have.

About your case, is the Dueber Anchor raised or engraved on the case. In this instance I refer to the words and the actual anchor itself. Are the words, the number 14 and the anchor actually raised above or engraved into the surface of the case?

If you bought this watch on eBay may we see the auction?

Trying to help,

Lindell

Wink

posted
Phil,
I did find your record of an Elgin Pansy in my search, and they are very close in numbers.

Yours 7025135
Mine 7025223

However there is no other record of it anywhere else, I read every page and only found that one and 2 others but they are for clocks.

One Seth Thomas Clock 1898 sold July 2002
One E. Ingraham & Co. Pansy closk 1885, 8 day time, & alarm shelf clock.

Nothing else.

Lindell,
I asked someone and they suggested to look for it under private label, may not be, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.
As far as the marking goes, in the New 2004 Complete Price Guide I read the difference between the two markings, for gold and gold filled, and it is exactly like the one on page 35 for solid gold, not like the one on page 37 for gold filled, the reason I mention this, is that I really could not tell if it was raised or engraved. One way it looks raised, then another way it looks engraved, I even tried to feel the difference, but couldn't.

The only picture I have is the one I will list here like on the other page.

The engraved Pansy on the movement is just like the one on the dial of the watch and the word Pansy is engraved under it.

The MOVEMENT is in the Complete Price Guide to Watches on page 207 Model 1 0 size three-
quarter plate hunting.
IT IS EXACTLY LIKE THAT MOVEMENT and where the words BARREL BRIDGE are, is where the word PANSY is written, OVER that, next to that dot, is the engraving of the Pansy.
Under the word Pansy is written Elgin U.S.A.
The only difference is that the "Fast/Slow" item is fancy and has engraving on it as well as on the plate it sits on.

I had already looked mine up on the Elgin page, and that's how I knew what it was before, but can't seem to find anything else about it.

So, do I figure that there were ???? many of these made? in that lot, or run and there just isn't anything else about it?

Thanks for the messages.

If I can get a picture of the movement, I will post it.

Sheila

Elgin Pansy

posted
Hi,
I talked to a John Fogarty and he's going to list this one too.

I know that I have been looking for the Pansy for about a year and a half, and he has been looking for a while too, and nothing ever comes up about them. These are the only two that I know of, and he can't find anything either.

I did list the Seth Thomas that's a mineature clock that was named Pansy that came out a year later than mine but have no idea if there's a connection.
We also considered that it may have been done by the Pansy Watch Case Company because the trademark is so similar, but there is no indication on the case of that at all.

I guess it's a mystery until something else comes up.
Since my watch is so close in number to the other one, we wondered if maybe they made less than listed for that run.
I'll just keep searching till those babies show up.

Sheila

posted
Sheila,

Just a question on this watch, Is this how you recieved it ?? It appears to be a hunting case, and the dial reads like and open face, with the 12 at the pendant..Original case ??

John

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
John,
Funny you should mention that, because when I got the watch I looked very closly for marks on the case that would indicate there had been another movement in it. However I didn't see anything.
Another thing is that there is a very deep saphire in the case, but it's in upsidedown. I'm SURE they did it on purpose, because it left a dent in the case right where it would have been, so they turned it around with the point on the outside of the watch.

Now, since then, I used a stronger loupe, and there is a Very slight indentation on the case where it may have had another movement, but I don't think so. I think they took this one out to work on the Saphire and then put it back without lining it up.
The movement is really sharp, clean, and like new, with the exception of one scratch on the movement, but the rest is great.
The Saphire had gone almost through the other case that covers the movement, but stopped short of it. There's engraving in the place where the Saphire dented it, so it's not too bad. It's the only bad thing on the watch.
The movement is too clean for it to have been changed I think. May be wrong..........

I'm going to try to get my brothers camera tonight and maybe I can get a picture of it in here.

I'm glad you asked, or I would have never found the marks, they can't be seen unless you have a loupe. Why it sits that way is up to you to tell me, cause I'm new to this, I have no idea which way it's supposed to be.
If it had been set where the marks are, I think the XII would be at the pendant. Is that where it should be? Or should it have gone the other way? naaaa..........

You tell me.....

Sheila