Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Any info on this early Hamilton dial? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Ron Birchall
posted
This dial is on a 935 marked "The Hamilton", serial number 21275.

I assume it is some kind of private label but it isn't initials and a name. Any ideas?

Regards,
Ron Birchall

Posts: 388 | Location: Wheaton, Illinois U.S.A. | Registered: December 20, 2004
posted
Ron,
We would all guessing on what it means.

I believe it is a name. LeBron.

The serial number list just shows that it was made in a run of 300 and this one sat in the safe for 2 1/2 years between finishing and being sold to a customer.

It could have your name on it if your grandfather ordered it and you were named the 3rd !

A very nice OLD private label on a very limited (4530) production watch.

Picture of Ron Birchall
posted
Jim

I didn't know what that first letter was but an L is as good as anything. I will contact the library tomorrow but there is a reference to a LeBron-Galena Illinois under Lancaster Watch Co. Most likely a jeweler. If they had a private label Lancaster, they certainly could have had a private label Hamilton. That would be pretty cool as Galena was the destination of the Galena and Chicago Union RR which eventually became the Chicago and Northwestern. Apprently,the RR never made as far as Galena as the lead mines petered out before it was completed.

Thanks for the observation,
Ron Birchall

Picture of Ron Birchall
posted
Just to complete this thread, according to Don Dahlburg, volunteer at our Library, my watch was part of a batch of watches that went to the Finishing Department on 1/2/96 and 12/20/96. It was finished on 6/29/96 (clearly part of the first half of the batch) and was sold on 10/19/96 to L M Le Bron & Son, Galena, Illinois.

Way cool! Big Grin

Ron

posted
I believe that the watch you show came from either my great-grand father's or grandfather's shop in Galena, Illinois.

My great-grandfather was Leo Mann LeBron. He died in the early part of the 20th century. My grandfather was Leo T. LeBron, Jr. He died in 1945.

After that time, the shop was sold.

Posts: 2 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina USA | Registered: May 14, 2007
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Welcome to Chapter 185 Adelaide!

This is amazing information and it fits perfectly with the information Ron developed through the Library which is where portions of the Hamilton Watch Company factory records are archived.

Do you have any pictures of the store?

Dr. Debbie

Smile

Posts: 5241 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
posted
Dr. Debbie,

I don't have any pictures of the store but I believe that the building where it was is still standing. I am not even sure what the address was but someone in the Galena Historical Society might be able to tell you. I was only 18 months old when my grandfather died and have never lived in Galena. If I find any pictures in the future, I will certainly let you know.

Posts: 2 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina USA | Registered: May 14, 2007
posted
Adelaide,
My watchmakers bench/tools came from a watch and clock shop that was in Galena,Ill. It was located at 125 main street and was operated by a watchmaker by the name of Clinton Wilkins. I wonder if there was any conection?

Larry

Bench

Posts: 225 | Location: Belmont, Wisconsin USA | Registered: April 09, 2004