Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

How easy or hard is it to recase a movement? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
How easy or hard would it be to recase a movement? Confused What would this entail? Confused Does one need special tools? Confused

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
I can speak only to the American pocket watch. To remove/install an open face, stem-wind, stem-set movement into a case with screw off back and bezel you need the following:

1. An appropriate size screwdriver for the case screws.

2. If the case stem is not adjusted properly for the movement, add a pair of pliers and sleeve wrench.

For hunter cases and cases that have snap on/off bezels and/or backs or cuvette lids, you will also need a bladed instrument such as a case opener.

When swapping out cases and movements, be very careful not to drop the movement, mar the dial or bend the hands. Always handle parts close to your work surface so that if something does drop out, it will fall only a short distance.

John D. Duvall
NAWCC Member 144772
NAWCC IHC Happy Camper 192
Chapter 185 Watch Repair Moderator

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
posted
Hi John D.,

Thanks for your reply. Doesn't sound too complex.

If one has a lever set movement to be recased, how hard would it be to recase and are other tools needed besides what you listed in recasing open faced, stem wind, stem set movments? Confused Eek

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Stephanie,

If the case will accept a lever movement (groove cut in the case body) and the bezel/back unscrews easily, you’re down to just a screwdriver!

This sounds like a good candidate for a Helping Hand presentation. I will add it to my ever-lengthening to-do list. Smile

John D. Duvall
NAWCC Member 144772
NAWCC IHC Happy Camper 192
Chapter 185 Watch Repair Moderator

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
posted
John D.,

Thanks for the infor. regarding recasing movements. I'll look forward to seeing this presentation sometime in your tutortial.
Smile Eek Eek

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979