• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Watchmaker recommendation? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I need to have a crystal put into an 0 size C.W.C.Co. coin silver hunter case, and I need it done quickly (as in, it is a Christmas present for my fiancee, and last year I chose her gift so badly, it has cost me a year of gifts for every holiday of every known religion and a few I think she made up). Any recommendations on who could do this quickly and well?

Posts: 4 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas in the USA | Registered: October 20, 2008
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Hello Randal,

Try this link....

www.Abellwatchmakers.com

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Randal, you guys look to be within easy driving distance of each other!

Here is additional information...

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3006013713/m/7771058762

My suggestion is you call Chris and make arrangements!

Lindell

"Chris Abell will do it well"

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Thanks to you both.
This video pretty much captures what I have been up against...
http://bewareofthedoghouse.com/video.aspx
[click on the projector]

Consider yourselves warned.

Thanks again!!

Posts: 4 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas in the USA | Registered: October 20, 2008
posted
Big Grin Do you really think a "wind up" "old" watch will get you out of the doghouse? Beware my friend! Big Grin

Posts: 292 | Location: Vancouver, Washington, USA | Registered: May 19, 2005
posted
Yeah, she's really into antiques AND mechanical stuff--has an engineering degree. AND she has been laying down heavy hints about the pendant watch she used to have that she sure would like to replace. Finally, she was ga-ga over a coin silver case with multi-colored gold inlays on a pocket watch we saw. So....I have found a fairly rare, higher-end Elgin movement that is running great, and a nice coin silver case with multi-colored gold inlays. Throw in some CD's of her favorite music as stocking stuffers (and a lot of grovelling), and I think I might be okay.

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Hey Randal,
Please tell me you didn't give her a toaster last year for Christmas!!!! Eek Confused

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Member 1016
posted
We men are naive. I once gave my wife a shovel for Mothers Day (really), and gave her a lunch bucket for her birthday. I don't think she liked either one! She acted kind of "distant". The diamond solitaire pendant seemed to go over better. She needed a shovel for yard work, and the lunch bucket enabled her to pack a lunch rather than go out every day. She didn't see it my way in either case. I felt like I researched and recognized a need in the first two---really put some thought in it. The diamond was a no-brainer!

Mike

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Member 1124
posted
Mike,

I hear you.

Still. You better hope that your wife never finds the location of that doghouse !

©harles

Posts: 134 | Location: South New Jersey in the USA | Registered: April 11, 2008
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
My wife is also a degree holding industrial engineer. Several years ago my late father gave her a hand held sledge hammer. No real rhyme or reason for it.

It's one of her favorite things she's received for Christmas, as she still uses it every year pounding tomato stakes in the garden. She calls it 'the weapon'. Big Grin

Don't believe everything those marketing departments are trying to feed ya, boys. The ladies have as many oddball interests as we do. My wife HATES that commercial, the fact be known.
Wink
Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
I remember one Christmas many, many years ago when my dad gave my mom a brand new plastic 30 gallon garbage can as a gift as she was constanly complaining how abusive the trash men were with the metal one we had. My dad viewed it as a joke but mom failed to see the humor in it at all. Had she the choice, he would have been sent to the "doghouse" with no chance for parole. He would still admit to the day he died that was the dumbest thing he ever did.

Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
posted
Jerry--
To answer your question, NO, not a toaster. Besides the music CD's, I got her, from Brookstone, a rechargeable portable compressor with which to inflate the tires in the wheelchair she uses to get around. We were always having to go out in the driveway to my car to get out my 12-volt plug-in-the-lighter-socket compressor to air her up, and I thought she would like having the relatively small hand-held compressor. WRONG! I think she interpreted it as an expression of a desire on my part to not have to bother with her tires any more (not true). To make matters worse, the #%*@ thing didn't work right and I had to return it. I have bought a lot of jewelry since then.