WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Opinions sought on this Waltham case **New Photo** "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1016
posted
I have a Waltham, Appelton Tracy, Model 1883 17j in a Swing-out case. I like the watch but have questions about the case. As you can see, I have not cleaned it. It appears to be silver but is not marked as such. The image on the back appears, to me, to be a steamboat. I suppose it is inlayed gold? Take a look and let me know.

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Member 1016
posted
case marking

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Member 1016
posted
close up

IHC Member 1016
posted
Dial shows many flaws and minute hand is missing. I will look for these items.

IHC Member 1016
posted
I guess the question needs to be articulated, Is this silver, or some other metal that tarnishes?

IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
Mike my experience with these cases is that most are a silver alloy case with the gold inlay on the back. Whether is is oresilver silverode or silveroid or what ever the case may be.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Mike

I can't tell from your photo of the inside of the case but most of the time the Waltham anti-magnetic shield is actually an insert, under it the case would have another set of marks showing what the case was made of which may be silver.

These inserts were made by a company that Waltham, Elgin & others bought & put in their cases.

If you notice the symbol on yours with the lightning bolts is a capital "G" for Giles the maker of the shields.

This ad is from 1887, if you read the part from Waltham they speak of putting them in their cases.

Also I agree the inlay on the back looks like a steam paddle boat.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Here is a link to Giles patent on the shield;

http://www.google.com/patents?...i%20magnetic&f=false

Charles Giles also patented a dust proof watch case in 1885.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
One last thing. Here is a link to another post where member Bill Kapp shows the insert removed from one of his cases.

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...581057903#5581057903

Tom

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
I tried to figure out what the case was made of and drew a blank. I agree with Tom that it is a Mississippi Delta paddle wheel steam riverboat !

Your main concern as to metal content and I don't have the answer for you, sorry.

However as Tom pointed out, it is an implanted insert so it may have to be pulled out to see what the case says under the insert !!

I'm in for $5 that it's going to be silver ore type case and not solid silver !!

OK- It's past my bed time so good night gentlemen !!

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Member 1016
posted
Thanks, I'll try to get the shield off later today and will post the results. Buster, have your fiver readyWink

IHC Member 1016
posted
I was not able to remove the shield as the screws turn but seem to be stripped. I cleaned it up a bit and will post photos soon, I really believe it is coin silver but until the shield is removed the debate continues Roll Eyes

IHC Member 1016
posted
Back

IHC Member 1016
posted
Paddlewheeler?

IHC Member 1016
posted
NOS crystal from my old cabinet I bought from Kevin.

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Yep !! Paddle~wheeler !! Yep !!

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Boy Buster

Great minds think alike. I was busy making this while you were doing the same.

Mike, you notice the little tear drop shapes on the right side of the image on your case, those are the outlines of the paddle. On the image I posted the side wheel is covered.

Tom

posted
Maybe originaly looked like this

Kevin

Posts: 486 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: March 13, 2010
IHC Member 1016
posted
Wow, That's a nice one. It probably did, any history to tell Kevin? I see you are in AZ. I'm in Apache Junction as a Snowbird, or as the euphemistically call us "Winter Visitors".

posted
Mike,
I wish it were mine. Just an item I was under-bidder on. I'm down in Tucson. I don't get to go north for the summer.
Kevin

IHC Member 1016
posted
Kevin, just out of curiosity, what did this sell for?

posted
Sorry I don't remember what it went for. It was several years ago. I had the image in my voucher file, but I usually don't keep record on the ones that get away.

IHC Member 1016
posted
Well....I sent it off to Don Mathis as Lindell had said he does really nice work. Got it back an hour ago and had to share. Whatdaya think?

IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
That is a beautiful piece of work. I tested a case like yours that had a sawmill on the back and no markings. I thought it was silver but it was nickle silver. My sawmill case was fairly smooth and maybe I should have it redone as yours looks so nice.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
IHC Member 1357
posted
Really nice!!!

Posts: 4092 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Holly Cow....what beautiful work....Man, our membership really has some artists....

Mike that is a beautiful case....

Besides the obvious, what is the extent of Don's expertise...?

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008