• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Is this a Waltham Opera Watch? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
My wife purchased this for me for my birthday and I believe it to be a Waltham Opera Watch as shown in the Shugarts. The case is solid 14k which I believe would make it a 2 Star, correct? I wondered if the hr hand is correct? It appears to be to small or broken off, but then considering the movement is so small I thought it may have been made that way. This is also the first one of these I have ever seen so if anyone else owns one and can post a few photos I would appreciate it a bunch.
I am wondering if I should send the dial out for a touch up, or does it look fine as is?

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

John

posted
Dial of the Waltham

12-Size Expert
Picture of Robert Schussel
posted
John
Most if not all of the Waltham Opera watches came in 14kt ( and a few in 18kt) cases. Your watch case is the most common shape and sold for $100 when new which was a lot of money. I have seen these watches in Pillow/Cushion shapes etc. I know that Jerry Treiman has shown pictures of them in the past and possibly he could share them again.

The first Opera Walthan watch I owned had the same dial and corrision. I had it refinished and it looked great.

--its a nice gift

Bob

Posts: 621 | Location: Vallejo, California U.S.A. | Registered: July 10, 2004
Picture of Sam Williamson
posted
The movement is missing a case screw (about the 3:30 position), that should be replaced before carrying the old boy. And of course, it should be serviced if going to be used.

Sam Williamson

Posts: 618 | Location: Northwestern Florida in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 27, 2002
posted
From my observation of these, the hands are correct, or should I say the minute hand is correct. The hour hand is correct, but has the small spade portion broken off.

Tom

posted
Thanks to all who made their input. How difficult will it be to find a correct fitting new set of hands and a correct looking crown since the one on this watch has serious wear and tear. If anyone has these available and for sale it would be greatly appreciated. I was very, very pleased when it was given to me. My wife is such a sweetie.

Thanks again,

John

posted
Here is an ad I found online that says they were 120.00 in 1917 with a leather box from the factory. Very interesting.

posted
I also found one for sale online that is a Platinum version which would be a 3 star pocket watch. This watch also has over 50 diamonds around the bezel of the watch. The movement is also a little nicer 19 jewel Riverside. They are asking $1000 over high book, but then again how many could have been made with diamonds. Take a look at this beauty and let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,

John

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
>> HERE << is a link to a previous thread on these and some related watches. Several others were shown in OUR PHOTO GALLERY. Regarding the platinum one, I think you will find it has a 17-jewel Riverside movement.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
posted
Jerry,

I know you are an expert when it comes to these fine beauties. I got the 19 jewel information from the gentleman selling the watch's listing. I have no doubt you are correct. I noticed you haven't refinished the dials on your Walthams. Do you think I should keep the dial as is, or would it be exceptable to give it a face lift? The dial as is isn't exactly unpleasant.

Thanks for all the information Jerry. I really enjoyed reading all of the posts from you and Tom.

John

12-Size Expert
Picture of Robert Schussel
posted
John
I think there are two camps on refinishing dials. There is the Antique Road Show group who loves all of the grim and original dirt. The other camp which I am more likely to fall in prefers a nice looking watch that looks like what it did when it was new and will get a metal dial refinished .

For porcelain dials many people soak them to clean out the dirt in the hairlines.Personally I don't like these dials when chips etc have been repaired with an enamel paste.

My best advice is to ask yourself if you like the watch the way it is. It the answer is yes don't redo it.

As a word of caution ,in some instances refinishing a metal dial would lower a watches value.
I have a unique 17j Hampden Relgis with the name Relgis on a somewhat disclored dial. In this instance refinishing the dial would be a mistake.

Bob

Posts: 621 | Location: Vallejo, California U.S.A. | Registered: July 10, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Bob makes some important points!

Here's one more to consider... If the dial has previously been refinished, then there may be everything to gain and little if anything to lose in upgrading it. Check the "Waltham" signature and the numbers very closely with a loupe, if the edges are fuzzy or uneven that is a clue that it was probably redone.

And John, if your wife was rich instead of charming and beautiful you could have the diamond watch. But I think you're doing fine, I'm the old softie that fell for love instead of money. Smile No regrets!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
A factor to consider on this dial is that all of the numbers and linework are inlaid enamel, so only the gilt surface needs restoration. Before going ahead be sure the refinisher can handle this dial without damaging it.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003