• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Joseph Welf - Cleveland, Ohio pocket watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Does anyone have any information regarding this watch? Thank you. Joseph Welf, Cleveland, Ohio
size 16, G-173,M-4, 15J, #1,316,832 c. 1898 CASE - Keystone, 25yr J.Boss, 14K YGF, #7,038,062

Posts: 823 | Location: Florida in the USA | Registered: May 06, 2010
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
We need a movement pic Marnie. It's probably private label. Wink

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
There was a jeweler in Cleveland named Joseph Welf, his brother Henry is listed in 1881 as a book keeper for the business but in other listings he is also listed as a jeweler. Joseph Welf's son also went into the business as a optometrist.

This is from the 1881 Cleveland City directory.

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
That is a 16s Hunter Cased unadjusted Illinois Getty Movement with a private label. It should have a double sunk dial and if double signed to the Joseph Welf name could be worth about $150.00 or more.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted

posted

posted

posted

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
With that case Marnie, I would "Insure it" for a lot more than $150.00. What a nice looking watch!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
I'm with David,Marnie, a lovely case with a pretty movement and dial... Smile

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
I have a feeling we will be seeing this one again, in our auction Forum....hint,hint Wink

Marnie, any photos of the insides of the covers...?

Thanks,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
posted
Tom - yes, I see the "wee ding" now - very wee. Jerry - yes, for the "hint,hint"

posted

posted

posted
back

posted
I have tried to pick up a private label for either Fremont, Sandusky, or Norwalk Ohio and anytime I search on ebay nearly all of the time the watches turn out to be Illinois watches. So just from my very unscientific testings (searching ebay) I have concluded Illinois probably made more private labels than the others, Hamilton might run second. And from my results there are a lot of collectors of private label watches, since it seems everytime I get "blown out of the water" on my bids. Very nice looking watch.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Thanks Marnie for the additional photo's and for the positive answer to my 'hint-hint'.... Wink you will certainly have positive results from this one....Really, a nice watch....

This is generally true about private labels....Illinois, Hamilton and Waltham apparently have more of them than the other watch makers....I have a few, not many though....

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
posted
Many of Joseph Welfs later private label watches were signed "Jos Welf & Sons, Cleveland, O". He seemed to favor the Illinois Getty movements too. I have seen his name on many of them and I also have serial # 1,535,912 in my collection.

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
posted
Hello,
I am the great great grand daughter of Joseph Welf. I am excited to see some of his work. My grandmother (Josephs son Charles daughter)did not have any family mementos. My grandmother had nine children there are only two siblings out of nine left and none of the kids had ever seen any of the stuff he made. I do have two pictures one of Joseph and One of Henry and I will submit them soon. I want to say thank you for providing with pride after I read your remarks about the workmanship of my great great grandfather. I wish pieces would of been kept. Again thank you for sharing the pictures.

Posts: 1 | Location: Wisconsin in the USA | Registered: September 18, 2013
posted
Cindy I had a private label watch that was sold by a jeweler and his family commented and contacted me about it and I gave them a good price and they purchased it and I recommended someone for repairs/service. Since most people on here are seeing watches all the time maybe they will keep and eye out for you if you wish.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
One correction to what you wrote, Cindy. Your great great grandfather did not actually manufacture watches. He sold them under his own name, and also may have worked on them or "serviced" them in his store.
kh

Posts: 921 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: March 25, 2013
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Cindy,

Thank you for contacting us. I look forward to you sharing images with us.

Debbie

Smile

Posts: 5236 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002