Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Watches with "Magnetic" personality "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Watches with "Magnetic" personality

This is just a note to help keep in perspective one of the forgotten "culprits" that plague our beloved Pocket Watches. Last week I received a beautiful 12s 19J Hamilton 900 for service that looked in perfect working order, but . . . NO TICKY!

I put my magnifying lense to the movement and noticed the hairspring was STICKING to the cross arm of the balance wheel.

A 5 second pass through my trusty South Bend Demagnetizer and the watch ran "like new". I put it on my timer and it "came in" within a minute or two a day, so I simply returned it to said owner with a note explaining the situation. (picture below shows a typical Hamilton 900, and my trusty S.B. Demagnetizer)

Ru1e#1, when starting to service a watch, DEMAGNETIZE it first!

At best, many "issues" could disappear and
at least the little itty bitty parts are less likely to stick to your steel tweezers while servicing it . . .

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
As always, you bring up some very good points Dave!

I have a late model demagnetizer (same concept. I bought it from amazon for about $60). This is the last step I do after putting the watch together, should I be doing it first? And with the parts together or apart?.

I usually run a small compass over the movement and look to see if it "dances to the beat" of the balance. Usually the mainspring has some magnetism too.

Dan

Posts: 407 | Location: Northern Virginia in the USA | Registered: October 08, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I always demagnetize first before service. Often that alone can "cure" certain suspicious issues with the escapement. Also little jewel screws and other tiny things are easier to pick up and set in place as they have no interest in "sticking" to your tweezers.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Another great 'Abbe' tip!
I just finished assembling two 900s for a client. As a matter of routine, I always check them against my trusty US Scouts Compass before timing up! (well with what else would you check a quality USA made movement?) BOTH needed to be de-magnetised...
It can be interesting when doing the timing esp in PU and 3UP, if can cause quite some variation!!
Cheers from the Aussie. Cool

Posts: 84 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: November 01, 2007