WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Welcome Aboard IHC185™     Internet Horology Club 185    IHC185™ Discussion Site Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Horological Discussions, Questions and Answers  Hop To Forums  Pocket Watch Discussions    My first South-Bend... (and an interesting re-uniting of consecutive numbers!)
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

My first South-Bend... (and an interesting re-uniting of consecutive numbers!) "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Ron Birchall
posted
I picked this off of ebay a while back. Frankly, I was after the case for another watch. (Please don't shoot me! Eek) When I received it however and found the case and movement apparently original and the movement so striking, I decided that I clealy have to leave them together.

Not knowing much about South Bends, I am wondering what I have!

The seller says that this is a grade 290 ca. 1909.

From the IHC185 South Bend Catalogs and Literature, I found the gr 290 in the Current Movements from 1904. I do not see this grade listed in the 1909 catalog. I gather this grade would not likely qualify as a RR Standard Watch.

Can anyone add to or correct what I've learned? If not a RR grade, where did the 290 fit in the South Bend lineup?

Here is the movement: (and thanks to IHC185 for the GREAT resource!)

Posts: 388 | Location: Wheaton, Illinois U.S.A. | Registered: December 20, 2004
Picture of Ron Birchall
posted
the dial:

Picture of Ron Birchall
posted
front:

Picture of Ron Birchall
posted
and back:

posted
Ron,
What a great looking watch! I don't this grade listed anywhere as a railroad grade watch. It was probably finished in 1909, which may have been too late for the 1909 catalog. Good for you to keep it all together. One of the South Bend experts will expound on the grade 290, I'm sure.
Tom Walker

Posts: 11 | Location: Forest City, North Carolina USA | Registered: April 14, 2006
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Ron,

There were about 9,800 were Grade 290 produced in at least three variations. Your number 504275 is from approximately 1907 production. I say "approximately" because we do not have definitive South-Bend listings. Unfortunately the company records were destroyed many years ago so we are left to our own devices.

The 290 was adjusted to 3 positions which ruled it out as a Rail-Road watch, it was a medium priced, medium grade movement. However if you look closely at the image below, you'll see there is a special relationship between your watch and one of mine that perhaps we should be talking about. Big Grin

Lindell

What an interesting pair these two would make...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Now that's neat!

What are the chances of that happening?

Nice watches.

Tim.

Posts: 95 | Location: Pembroke Pines, Florida USA | Registered: January 16, 2006
posted
Quite incredible ............ Beautiful too!

Best regards

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
IHC President
Life Member
posted

South-Bend "Twins" reunited after a hundred years...

Thought you might like to see these rascals side by side. I find the similarities in dial design and hands very interesting. Think of the fact they began life together a hundred years ago and all the places they've each been before being reunited just recently. Thanks to Ron and I working out a deal these watches will always be together.

They sure do make a very handsome couple...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Here are 504274 and 504275 together again...

Picture of Ron Birchall
posted
Very nice pair Lin; I am glad they are reunited!

But I am again without a South-Bend of my own. Frown