• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Has anyone seen one of these watches? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello, I have posted this here as I suspect that this watch was originally a Pocket Watch.

The seller of this has been converting Pocket Watches to worst watches, although in some case very large for the wrist.

Bought this simply on spec and because it looks great.

It has proven to be very accurate, still on the minute over the 48 hours that I have had it.

The movement says SURETE, which I understand was French Jeweller rather then watch maker, but anything I have found was not very specific.

The case is plated and cleaned up nicer that the photos show, I have made a genuine Crocodile band as the one supplied is just a little too small for my wrist.

Three Photo's follow.

Cheers, Tony

Dial View

Posts: 48 | Location: Canberra in Australia | Registered: May 16, 2012
posted
The Back

Back View

posted
The last pics of the mystery bag.

The Movement

posted
Another interesting "watch" that caught my attention was this one claimed to have been bulkhead mounted in a Soviet Tank.

This bought as a package with the "Surete" and as both were quite cheap and they were both so curious I just had to buy them.

Both from the Ukraine.

Cheers, Tony

Front

posted
Back view

Rear view

posted
Final view of the movement.

Built like a bullet proof, cheap but so far accurate time piece.

Movement

posted
I see I should have posted the Surete watch question in the european forum and likely the Tank watch in the military forum.

As soon as I figure out how to cross post or move posts I will do so.

BTW I have found a very similar surete on ebay, different regulator though.

Link

Tony

posted
Although I cannot add any new information on your new watches, I really like the look of the wristwatch, it looks like decent quality to me. The second one is very nice as well, it will be interesting to see how this post transpires when the more learned pitch in

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
posted
Did you notice the center wheel on the tank clock does not have a bushing or jewel, but the remainder of the train appears to be fully jeweled?

Posts: 301 | Location: Ogallala, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: August 27, 2005
posted
Yes, I did a jewel count and believe it is 13.

I can only assume that these were made to survive battle on the bulkhead of a battle tank and maybe that wheel was shattering jewels when the main gun fired, or it really did not matter that much, or they had a budget to work to.

It would not need the acuracy required for navigation.

It has not been adjusted yet, but is gaining about 1-2 minutes per 24 hours.

posted
There are many counterfeit watches, large and supposedly old pocket watches. The ones I got sold out of Bulgaria. This may or may not be one of them. They are fakes but in all honesty, they look nice.

Posts: 5101 | Location: Buffalo, New York in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2009
posted
These might be fake, but the problem is that it was not thought to be anything special.

I note that some have claimed to not be able to tell some fakes from the real deal. In which case you are still getting a comperable piece of engineering. Is there a difference to being sold an item of equal quality, maybe even out of the same factory, but not the real and being defrauded by being sold an item that is counterfit and junk? IP and revenue theft not withstanding.

posted
so hard to tell, if it runs, enjoy it.

Posts: 5101 | Location: Buffalo, New York in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2009
posted
Hi Tony,
The tank clock is real, I have the same clock. If you compare the plates, its a Russian Dueber Hampden, 15 jewels. Just a no frills work horse movement panel mounted watch. Enjoy.

Bill

Posts: 4 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: September 06, 2008
posted
Cheers, Bill.

I have no reason to doubt the seller, and it looks like the product of an industrial state with budgetary restraints. It is great and runs well.

I think the there are morenquestions in relation to the gold watch. I am convinced it is a recased pocket watch, which is fine by me. The seller claimed it was an Anonimo Surete? I was only curious about what it is, as I need to find a rathet wheel screw for it.

Cheers, Tony

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Hi Tony,

Your Soviet era instrument clock appears as a "closed topic" on the military forum, so I'll comment here.

As noted above, your clock has the Soviet version of a basic Duber-Hampden 16 size pocket watch movement. The Soviets bought all of the tools and parts after Duber-Hampden failed. This equipment was used start production of basic watches in Moscow in the early 1930's.

Russians call this the Kirov or Kirova movement. It was used in pocket watches, big wristwatches and small clocks.

The little instrument clocks sometimes have black dials or silver. There is often a date molded into the back of the case. I suspect that the black dials are older or could have been intended for a different application.

Early movements are most often dated with the month and year of production. For example, 10-40 for October 1940.

These little clocks are often sold as "tank clocks," I have no reason to doubt use in tanks.

It's not easy to say if an undated Kirova movement was made and used during WWII or not because production appears to have continued after 1945.

Pre or post 1945 they are interesting little war relics, built to last.

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Just to add to Greg's account, my local watchmaker, Mr. Vladimir Gelfer worked and studied at the Kirov Factory in Post-War Russia as part of his training to be a watchmaker. Vladimir told me that the Kirova watch factory machinery and inventory was famous for keeping up watch production while being moved 10 times during the war to keep it away from the Germans.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007