Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Early Hamilton "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
I thought I would show this watch as it confirms several points brought up in a previous discussion topic about a early 4 foot Hamilton and points raised by Lindell and Ed, (Reference https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=3206049661&f=1086047761&m=430007066 )
This watch is some 45,000 earlier is unstamped 992, carrying just “Adjusted” on the cock and is as the single roller version, also stamped the patent on the face plate, the dial reads “Hamilton Watch Co” as the slightly newer one reads simply Hamilton, is this when the change over occurred?, of course a 4 foot Dial.
As for the case is this the correct one something doesn’t look quite right it has a plain gold brass free back 20 Year.

Chris Abell

Face

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
P1

Chris Abell

P1

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
P2

Chris Abell

P2

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
P3

Chris Abell

P3

posted
hi Chris,

Nice job on the images.

To try to answer about the dials....
The full signature dials like you show were on the earlier movements, but I am not fully certain the full signature was exclusive.

I do not know of a definite change over point or a possible reference to this info.

I generally see the full signature on both 16 and 18s movements that pre-date 1906 or so. But have also seen the script hamilton signature in this time frame also.

The ease of dial swapping sure does not help to determine absolute correctness.

i recently purchased a first run 992 that has a script "hamilton" signature.. will see how it faces up when i receive it.

your case appears to be from the correct time frame for the movement. does it have additional case screw marks?

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Terry,

I have had a close look at the case and appears to original there are only two marks and are in-keeping with the arcs of these casement screws. Thankfully it only took a new spring and a few jewels to get it running and off course a thorough clean I would be interested in see yours for comparison when you get it.

Chris Abell

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Chris,

With the exception of the later hour and minute hands, this one which dates to 1904 looks to be a nice original. That dial design with the spelled-out in script "Hamilton Watch Co." is typical on early 18-size watches but one I don't recall seeing on many 16-size examples.

You sure come up with some great watches!

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002