Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Blueing screws (with link to a blueing machine) "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Francesco Marco Maraschin
posted
Hi all,
I was looking over a post in the watch restoration part of the forum and in it the screws on the watch where re-blued. How would one go about blueing screws and what apparatus does one need?
Thanks guys
Francesco

Posts: 226 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: November 19, 2012
IHC Member 1824
posted
Francesco, if you do a "Find-Or-Search" on "blueing hands" you see some posts on how to blue screws too. Sorry did not know how to post the link.

Posts: 148 | Location: Davie, Florida in the USA | Registered: March 26, 2013
Picture of Benny Courtney
posted
Francesco, I use gun blue on screws it does not require any special tools or equipment. I buy the blue for touching up gun parts, it is done cold and only requires that the screw be free of any oil. You coat the clean screw with the blue leave the blue on for the time in the instructions then wipe off and oil the screw. prior to installing the screw clean all the oil off.

Posts: 14 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2013
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Thanks for the info Benny what a great idea.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
Here is the Link. Blueing Screws

Will the gun blueing come off in watch cleaning solution.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
posted
Francesco, I don't want to be talking out of school here,(I'm sure I know less than you). I read your post and was curious myself about the blueing and did some searching. The 'real' blueing is actually done with heat at a precise temperature (570 F) I don't want to drop names but one of our members built a really neat 'cooker' just for this purpose along with schematics etc....absolutely awesome. Check it out for yourself, I'm sure you'll be impressed like me.

Posts: 29 | Location: Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2013
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
I made one of these Blueing Machines and it works great. Need to make sure that your intended item is super clean and polished like the post says, or you will not get the desired effect. Hardest part was finding the brass block. Ended up getting it from a friend of a friend.

Posts: 407 | Location: Northern Virginia in the USA | Registered: October 08, 2011