WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Photo of my Hamilton 996 Eugene Buffard told me about "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Here is a few photos of the $175 996 Eugene told people about. The case in nice and no wear through.
Also picked up this nice Hampden 16 jewel movement in this nice train case. I paid $175 for this one also which was to much but add them both together and I cam out good. The train case is not quite as nice as I though but still very very nice. It has a very thin line of brass showing on the very edge of the lids. You have to look very carefully to see it.

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
IHC Member 1610
posted
996 front

IHC Member 1610
posted
996 movement

IHC Member 1610
posted
Hampden

IHC Member 1610
posted
Hampden back.

IHC Member 1610
posted
Hampden dial

IHC Member 1610
posted
Hampden movement

Picture of Dan Carter
posted
I really like the 996. I carried one for a while in a glass back Wadsworth BOC case and but have since switched it out for a 990. Both wonderful looking watches. The 996 to me looks like a spiderweb pattern whereas the 990 is more of a flower pattern. Both of them though will get a "WOW!" from however gets a peek at the movement itself. You got a nice deal at $175 for your 996!

Posts: 407 | Location: Northern Virginia in the USA | Registered: October 08, 2011
IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you Dan. I agree with you 100%. I already have two 990's and now I have two 996's. I like to look at it like I have a working parts watch to go with my working other watch.

I like Hampden's but even there fancy 21 and higher jeweled watches just don't compare to the nice Hamilton's as far as looks go IMHO. I really like this case and I did not have a 16 jewel Hampden. It books out at $200 in mint condition and I have $175 in this one but I liked the case.

Picture of Dan Carter
posted
Funny how that works. I have 2 996s and 2 990s as well. Same reason. I usually try to get 2 examples of the watches I really like and put one in a correct case or nice daily carry case, and the other goes into a glass-back or display case. It always amazes me how much effort and artistic pride went into these watch movements that were really only seen be a watchmaker or by a curious watch owner. Even the mainspring barrels from these older watches have some form of desmaskeening on them and the casual user would never see or even know that, just the jeweler / watchmaker. You look at some of the later watches and some of the newer swiss movements and the design is either pressed in or it is just plain metal. These watches, and to me the Hamiltons in particular, really have that "bling factor" that really catches ones eye.

Posts: 407 | Location: Northern Virginia in the USA | Registered: October 08, 2011