Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin Montgomery dials "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1110
posted
Is it just my imagination, or did Elgin make way more single-sunk Montgomery dials than all the others? I see them all the time for sale, and they are almost always SS.Anyone have any thoughts on that? Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
posted
Ted, if you are talking the grades in the 47X and 5xx range for 16s most were SS and I can't recall any of the grades such as 472/478/506/590 etc have a double sunk dial naturally. Probably the last 16s that would have been sold with a DS Monty dial would have been the Veritas 453/454/455, which would have been the older style 16s 3/4 plate grade. There were some other 16s in the gap between the 45X and the 47x series but they were low jewel versions and were not RR grade.

Posts: 1789 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC Member 1338
posted
Here's my favorite Elgin Montgomery Dial. No, it's not single sunk

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
posted
Most Montys before the 47X were double sunks at worst 50/50, the 24 hr types tend to be very rare. When Elgin dropped all names but the BWR all the way up to the 571 it seems that Elgin joined others in the single sunk enamel and metal style dials. Some may debate the point between true Montgomery dials (6 or 18 above the second hand)or the Numerical dial (no 6 or 18 to bypass the patent)

Posts: 1789 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC Member 1338
posted
This one is also a pretty scarce 18S 17J BW Raymond!
One of my favorites

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
IHC Member 1110
posted
I have seen pictures of a few single sunk bold Montgomery dials marked " Elgin, The Railroader".Anyone know anything about them?

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
posted
One good Elgin Montgomery dial deserves another. This is an Elgin Grade 367 21-Jewel watch with a Private Label. It was sold by Gerald C. Thompson who was a jeweler in North Bay and the Official Watch Inspector for all of the Temiskaming & Northern Ontario Railway.

Elgin Grade 367, Father Time Private Label

Posts: 26 | Location: Tucson, Arizona in the USA | Registered: February 26, 2019
posted
And, here's the movement to the Gerald C. Thompson Private Label watch.

Elgin Grade 367, Father Time Private Label

Posts: 26 | Location: Tucson, Arizona in the USA | Registered: February 26, 2019
posted
Here's some biographical information about Gerald C. Thompson, quite an up and coming citizen of North Bay, Ontario at the time!

Gerald C. Thompson, Biographical Information