Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Add Comment
A couple WW1 wristwatches in my collection... "Click" to Login or Register 
, by Kim Fields (created on )Gallery | Comments 
I'm a first time poster...
Here's a couple watches I have in my collection. The first one belonged to my grandfather and was given to him by his University of Illinois fraternity brothers.
The second watch I believe is WW 1 vintage. It came with the strap. By the way, both of these watches work. I'm interested in any comments or observations you may have. Kim

Posts: 28 | Location: Vandalia, Ohio U.S.A. | Registered: September 26, 2004
Picture of Carlos Flores
posted
Hello Kim and welcome to the IHC 185 Chapter!.
I have little of information to share but bringing the post to the top could add some more.
You have two nice pieces of watches. Both of them most probably were manufactured in the second decade of the 20th century, and most probably too they have movements (works) originally designed for pocket watches. You can see the lugs for the band were really add-ons to the case, this is representative of the very early wristwatches.

It is very interesting the inscription in the back of the case in the first watch, it looks to be realeted to the military where watches were first used in the wirst, ¿do you have more of its history?

If you can provide pictures of the inside of the movements or at least the numbers and inscriptions engraved on them, much more can be added.

Regards

Edited after posting: Oops, I see this message has been answered in a separate post..

Posts: 325 | Location: Near Mexico City, Mexico | Registered: July 05, 2003
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Hi Kim,

A nice collection. We appear to collect similar items. The Elgin was popular with the troops in WWI, I have two with the same style case, each with a military inscription on the back. The serial number on the works of your Elgin will permit us to tell you the year it was made.

The Swiss watch was also popular with the troops in WWI. The markings on the movement might suggest if it was made for sale in the US or if it was sold in Europe. The band on the Swiss watch is interesting. I have not seen that type of fastening before.

These watches were made for the wrist. Although the movements might have been designed for womens watches to begin with, the cases were made as wristwatch cases. The dial on the Swiss watch with the red 12 was also made as a wristwatch dial. Thus, both watches started out as mens wristwatches and not as little pocket watches.

I like that WWI victory medal. What does it say on the battle bar?

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002