Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Add Comment
Paragon Benjamin Franklin clocks "Click" to Login or Register 
, by Andy Krietzer (created on )Gallery | Comments 
Picture of Andy Krietzer
These were made in the 1960s by Paragon. This company made timers, but they also made this style of clock. Benjamin Franklin invented this idea for a clock with only one hand. Pretty interesting how you tell time on it. There is also a nautical time clock that is basically the same thing, with a different dial and marking.

Andy

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Very interesting Andy. Just how do you tell the time?

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Tom,

I use my watch!

Seriously, The hand makes one revolution every 4 hours. So you see the clock will show either 12, 4 or 8 for example. You should be able to know within 4 hours what time it is, so you just use common sense to tell you if it is 12, 4 or 8. Benjamin Franklin's joke was that if you weren't able to guess within 4 hours what the time was, you needed a calendar not a clock! Each quarter of the dial is devided into 60 segments to see the minute. I think they made the Benjamin Franklin clock first, then they made the Nautical Time clock. It is based on the 8 bells system, but the clock does not sound any bells.

Andy

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Thanks,
That is what I figured by looking at the clocks, but did not know if there way anything else going on or not. It is one of those things that is almost too simple, so you look for something more complicated. I like it!

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002