Add Comment
Canadian Railway approved wristwatches "Click" to Login or Register 
, by Larry Buchan (created on )Gallery | Comments 
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
Stephanie:

Here are some scans of my railway wristwatches, some I used during my career with the Canadian Pacific Railway. The first two are Ball, one a 25 jewel automatic equipped with dual time zone hands, the other is a manual wind both watches are equipped with 24-hour dials.

The next four watches are Bulova, the first one a #214 Accutron, the second a #218 Accutron that I bought back in 1974 from the CPR watch inspector in Medicine Hat, Alberta, the third watch is a Bulova Accuquartz I bought on holidays in Lancaster Pennsylvania in 1982 I liked this watch because of the luminous hands but they were never approved by the CPR because of that, their concern was the luminous material could flake off and get into the watches mechanism. The last watch is a Bulova quartz that I bought towards the end of my career in 1998 the feature I liked on this watch was the way the case shielded the crown.

The next wristwatch is a Citizen Railroad approved quartz that was a retirement gift from the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers it has a BLE crest on the dial. I bought the 23 jewel B. W. Raymond on eBay a while back, it came from the estate of a retired Vice President of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers from Kentucky.

The Gruen jump hours wristwatch was not railway approved, it was probably a presentation watch that Canadian National Railways gave out it has a CN snake logo on the dial, this wristwatch at 13 clock would change from the 12 hour dial to the 13 to 24 clock dial as you can see in the scans.

The last three wristwatches are manual wound Universal Geneve the first two are Grade 1205-0 they were approved by the Canadian National Railways and have a 0 on the dial at the 12 clock position rather then the 24 that you can see on this third watch that was a Canadian Pacific Railway approved Grade 1205.

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Nice presentation Larry! Thanks for sharing all those great watches.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...enjoyed the slideshow very much!...thanks Larry!...

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Larry B,
What a fabulous collection of railway wristwatches! I thoroughly enjoyed!Smile Thanks Larry!!!SmileSmile

Stephanie O'Neil

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
I find it interesting that two of the Universal Geneve start at "0" rather than ending at "24". Were there pocketwatches or clocks with a similar dial layout?

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Jerry:

I have a Ball trainmaster wristwatch dial with the "0" twelve o'clock position, and I know they were approved for the Canadian National Railways, I do not know of any pocket watches with this type of dial. I will have to investigate if there were any clocks like this used by the CNR

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Stephen L. Russell
posted
Larry,

What a great collection of watches!

Posts: 849 | Location: Victoria, British Columbia Canada | Registered: December 05, 2003
posted
Very nice collection of wrist watches Larry, i did not know B.W Raymond was also a wrist watch model.I learn something new every day here.Thanks Larry for sharing these.