Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Got My 19J American Waltham 1888 Hunter Finished! "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1338
posted
Finally got my scarce 1888 American Waltham 19 Jewel Hunter finished. Each 19 Jewel movement is highly damaskeened
with a different pattern like the 1872 models.

I finally found that rare dial to put on it. Dial isnt perfect but I will never live long enough to find another one.

Thanks to Paul Davis for cleaning it she is running tip top and this is one of the jewels of my collection, at least to me. Thanks for looking!

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
IHC Member 1555
posted
NiceSmile

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Pretty watch, Tom. You modestly describe it as an American Waltham. It is that of course, but it is Waltham's American Watch Co. grade, the highest Waltham grade until the early 20th Century, although the Model 1888 Riverside Maximus is as highly regarded by some as the Model 1888 AWCOs.

These AWCOs came in 17j, 19j, and 21j versions. I recall, perhaps incorrectly, that about 500 19js were made, and as many as 100 21js. I think the 17js are scarcer still; I've never seen one. Collectors seem to prefer the 19js to the 21js, but the later are more valuable because they are scarcer. (I have a 21j and a 19j, which I like equally well. If I ever have the opportunity, I will add a 17j to my collection.)

Tom, I don't think each AWCO Model 1888 had unique damascening. All the ones I've seen look pretty similar. In contrast, many,if not all, Model 1872 AWCOs did have unique damascening. My three 1872s all have significantly different patterns.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Member 1338
posted
Ethan; I think you're right for the most part, still other 19 Jewel AWCO movements had subtle differences. Look at the first picture of another 19J I had (6,500,191) then at the picture of this one below it. (6,000,181)

The damaskeenig around the entire edge is different, and the whole pattern abeit very similiar has subtle differences. However it is an open face version so maybe that explains it?

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Tom, I see the differences. I didn't say that all AWCO Model 1888s have identical damascening I said that I didn't think each one had unique damascening and that all the ones I've seen had "pretty similar" damascening.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
For comparison to your movement, Tom, here is the movement in my 19j AWCO Model 1888 OF.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
And the movement in my 21j AWCO Model 1888 OF.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
I used to have this 21j AWCO Model 1888 hunter.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
For further comparison, here is my Model 1888 Am'n Watch Co. hunter. (Am'n Watch Co. was a slightly lower grade than American Watch Co.) This particular watch is unusual because Pat Caruso, who headed Waltham's experimental department, fitted it with a Cole's Resilient Escapement.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
As I said in my original posting, despite the normal pecking order at Waltham, the Model 1888 Riverside Maximus is viewed by some collectors to be at least on a par with the AWCO Model 1888s. Here is my 1888 Riverside Maximus Hunter.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Finally, here is my Model 1888 Riverside Maximus OF.

IHC Member 1338
posted
I sold my 14K 1888 Maximus but still have my GF model. The 19J all have vanguard type winding wheels but the Maximus 1888 and the 21J AWCO both have damaskeened wheels

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

posted
Nice one Tom! Incase you wanted to see all three (17,19,21) here they are.
Paul

Posts: 317 | Location: Florida in the USA | Registered: December 07, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Paul, that's a very impressive array of scarce watches. Please post a photo of the dial on your 17j. I am trying to determine whether the 17js used the same dial as the 19js and 21js.

posted
Hello Ethan, sorry for the delay.

Posts: 317 | Location: Florida in the USA | Registered: December 07, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Thanks, Paul. I asked because I am trying to determine the original dials normally used on the 17j AWCO 1888s. The dial on Tom's 19j shown in the first posting in this thread is a correct original dial for the 19j and 21j AWCOs, although an Arabic numeral version of that dial (with red 5-minute numbers in the chapter ring) is also correct.

There are so few 17j examples that I don't know how they were originally dialed, but I believe that your dial, Paul, likely is correct because the only other example I have seen has a very similar dial, but double sunk. See https://mcintyre.com/awcoshow....3&collid=101&cidx=18 .