Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham Los Americanos Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
I just bought this hunter movement and haven't been able to find much concerning the plate markings. It's a 16 sz model 1888, hunter, 7 jewel. Not a fancy watch. But it's marked:

A.W.W.Co.
Waltham Mass.
Los Americanos
RICLA 79

I know Waltham made some watches/movements for export to Central and South America like the Sol and Cronometro models. This is the auction picture, which isn't the best, but hopefully you can see enough....

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
posted
The dial is very interesting, too. Although dirty, it is marked:

American
Waltham Watch Co.
Morris Heymann HNO. Y CIA.
Habana

I did some checking and found references to a ships crew member and family that sailed between New York, Havana and Tampico, Mexico from the 1890's through about 1910's.

If anyone has information about the dial markings, please post. Thank you!

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
posted
I just realized, as the auction has ended, this should be posted under the pocket watch forum, but I don't know how to move it. If someone could tell me how, I would appreciate it.

posted
Mary Ann,

"Hno" would be Hermano = brother, and
"Cia" would be Compañía = Company
"Habana" is, of course, Havana.

Posts: 803 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2009
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Mary Ann,

I moved it for you....interesting watch by the way. Looks like it has some history to it.

Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Morris Heymann was born April 13, 1865 in NYNY, his father was Simon Heymann. Here is a photo of Morris from his passport.

morris

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
This is his wife Regina

regina

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Passport page 0ne

pass01

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Passport page 2

pass02

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Mary Anne, This is definetely worthy of a restoration. It takes a fitted case and a special winding stem (swiss style stem locking). I can check my stuff to see what I have along those lines, and suggest that check ebay for decent AWC 1888 Hunter case listings regardless of (movement) condition.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
This is from Treasury decisions under customs and other laws 1908

treasury

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Here is another article from Bulletin by US Congress Senate Committee on Finance, Replies to Tariff Inquires 1894

congress

posted
Thank you, Steve, for moving the post for me. And thank you, Mike, for the dial translation. Dave, I will check around for a case to fit. And Tom - thank you for the pictures, passport and trade/tariff info. It seems Mr. Heymann was an astute businessman!

Has anyone any information about the Los Americanos engraved on the plate? And maybe what the RICLA 79 means? The seller said it didn't look like it was added later. When I get it I will post a clearer picture so those more knowledgeable than me maybe can offer additional information.

Thank you everyone!

posted
Mary Ann,
79 Ricla was probably a street address. The Spanish put the street name first. Incidently, the 'y' on your dial is the Spanish word for 'and'.
Tom has really found you some nice biographical information!
Best,
Mike

Posts: 803 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2009
posted
Do you still have this watch?

Posts: 3 | Location: Miami, Florida in the USA | Registered: July 20, 2015
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
This is an 8 year old thread, the author of the thread is no longer a member, sorry.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
posted
Thank you. Reason that I asked is because I am related to this family.

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Jose,

We will try to contact Mary Ann for you.

She was selling-off a large collection of watches so it may be gone. Interestingly, here is where she was trying to find a case for the movement, nearly impossible as the 14-size movement was produced for only a short time and few cases were made.

Mary Ann seeking a case: https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...=336107871#336107871

Likely a previous owner used the case from this movement to upgrade a more valuable movement, something that all-too-often happens in our hobby. By the way that dial would clean up nicely!

Meanwhile, join us as you would find IHC Membership worthwhile!

Click to join: https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...s/a/frm/f/1386019371

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Thank you so much for responding. I had already registered and look forward to reading the posts. I am not a collector but just happened to google the last name of my great-grandfather and this popped up. I was born in Cuba and my parents emigrated to Miami in 1961.The name on the watch happens to be my great-grandfather's business in Havana. He was a New Yorker that established his business in the early 1900s I thought it would be nice to have a watch from the family business and could be passed on to my kids. If you happen to hear of one like this I would appreciate a note.
Jose