• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

E Howard Watches (Keystone) "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have a diverse collection but no Ball or Howards and probably need to get at least one example of each although the Ball Illinois, Elgins, and Hampdens tend to make the digits crank up in the price so I will probably end up with a Ball Waltham. On the E Howard topic there isn't a lot of info out there and I had been looking in the 19-23j configurations and wondered if one series of Howards is preferred over the other. If anyone is a E Howard collector your comments are appreciated.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC Member 1555
posted
If you are going for the 16 Size Claude you might have to get two of the Keystone-Howard's. The 16 Sizes were made in 3/4 Plate as well as the Bridge Model types.

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
posted
Claude - The Keystone Howards are finely engineered, and any selection would be a welcomed addition to a diverse collection. The variety of variants also provides substantial depth for an ambitious collector.

The 23-Jewel Series 0 with jeweled banking pins would be my top recommendation. The jeweled banking pins were utilized to maintain the jewel count once the company retired the jeweled safety barrel.

Posts: 49 | Location: Tennessee in the USA | Registered: February 20, 2012
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Claude,

I would echo what Bila and Nathan about the later Howards, their Series 11 Chronometer is as fine a Railroad Watch as you will ever find. Among examples of their RR Grades that I have had the great pleasure to place with honor in my collection...

17-Jewel Series 2 / 19-Jewel Series 5 / 21-Jewel Series 10 / 21-Jewel Series 11 - "Safety-Bow Double-Crossbar" Case Preferred / and finally 23-Jewel Series 0 in both Open-Face and Hunter versions.

Then of course at the top rung, the 23-Jewel Free-Sprung "Edward Howard" with 5 of the jewels being big, blue and pressed, housed in 18K Edward Howard-Marked Case specifically numbered to the movement.

Lindell

Wink

Below on left, Howard "Series 0" then in center "Series 10" and on the right
Series 11" with unique "Double Crossbar Case" all are RR Grade timekeepers.

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
I picked up a 21j series 10 in a Crescent swing out case with engine turned engraving on the back. Once it arrives and I clean the case I will take some photos, I finally broke down and bought a light box kit with LED lights to take better photos of my watches. I will look at the 17 and 19j to pick up next along with looking at the older 3/4 plate models.

posted
The 21j series 10 arrived today, nice clean movement, case not perfect but in good condition not major brass showing, just the small spot typically seen on the pendant on some high points. Will need a staff but no corrosion, screwdriver slips or such. The Montgomery dial is chip free but has a few hairlines that hopefully will soak out or at least improve. Should clean up nicely need to see if my any free photo sites still exist so I can upload photos.