• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Replace or retain dial Hamilton 992 "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
My older brother inherited our Grandfather’s 992. Serial number indicates it is from 1909. Some years ago he took it to a watchmaker to have it cleaned. Unfortunately, the guy chipped the porcelain dial (in the pic, near 10 hour). Unforgivable. He said he’d repair, which he did (sort of) but the sloppy repair is clearly evident.
As heartbreaking as that experience was, our question is, Should the dial be replaced, or retained in its original condition? My nephew will ultimately inherit the watch, and maintaining the value is important. It runs, keeps very good time for its age but not railroad time, has 25 year gold filled case, minor scratches on crystal. Is the watch more valuable with a replacement dial, or with the original?

Gropo

Posts: 28 | Location: Illinois and Maine in the USA | Registered: May 01, 2018
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
I am not a railroad watch collector; they might see things differently. If you could find another Hamilton dial of the same design, a real one, not a reproduction, no one but your family would ever know that the dial hadn't been on the watch as long as the present one. A watch with the correct dial definitely is worth more if the dial is pristine than if it is damaged.

However, I doubt that your watch would be worth more than the cost of the new dial plus its present worth.

What's more, the watch isn't especially valuable because it is quite common (unless it is a rare variant, which I wouldn't know). And value shouldn't be a significant factor, in any event, as to an heirloom that your family does not intend to sell.

This brings me to perhaps my key point. If your family replaces the dial, your family will know that the watch does not have the dial that it had when your ancestor owned it. If that detracts from its heirloom quality in your or their eyes, I'd leave it as is.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ronny Manis
posted
If it were me, the value would be in the fact that the watch was my Grandfather's and replacing the dial with something that wasn't his would take away from that value. Just my opinion.

Posts: 171 | Location: Cookeville, Tennessee USA | Registered: July 25, 2005
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
It is up to you. You can replace that dial with an exact Hamilton original dial for $50 to $75. It would need to be that exact dial. If it were me I would replace the dial. That dial will only continue to get worse over time. The repair will get more yellow. Also if your grandfather was still alive do you think your grandfather would replace the dial or live with a damaged dial? If you replaced the dial you could keep the old dial for prosperity. As for the value you can not say for certain that the dial has not been replaced before. If your grandfather purchased it new then only he could say it was original and since he is longer with us there is really no way to prove it is the original dial. By replacing the dial with a new dial the value would go up. It would not go up a lot but it would be easier to get a higher price should you ever decide to sell it.

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
IHC Member 1357
posted
I agree with Harry

Roger

Posts: 4093 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
posted
I'd replace it, but save the old dial in case another family member inheriting it wanted to put it back on.

Posts: 42 | Location: Columbiana, Alabama in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2018
IHC Member 1693
posted
Sell Grandpa's watch someday ? No Way ! I would keep it exactly as is ..
I would love to have my Grandpa's watch in any condition. For me, it not about collector value. Jack

Posts: 352 | Location: Southeast Michigan in the USA | Registered: March 22, 2012
IHC Member 1610
posted
Lets look at it this way. If you inherit your grandfathers old Model A and it had a burnt out headlight would you replace the headlight or keep it just the way it was when grandpa owned it? If grandpa's old Model A had worn out tires would you replace the tires so that you could safely drive it. Anything and everything wears out and needs replacing. Being the owner of these antiques we have a responsibility to keep them maintained.

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Your question boiled-down to this line...

Is the watch more valuable with a replacement dial, or with the original?
THE ANSWER IS YES! My personal choice, like several others, would be to upgrade the dial to an exact, original no-issues dial, something I have done hundreds of times in my own collection and for many others. The crystal should also be correctly replaced.

HOWEVER, BEFORE WE GO FURTHER, please post the movement number so we can be more certain about what you have. BECAUSE on the Hamilton 992 around number 872000 they went from 4 Dial Feet to 3 and if it turns out to be a 4 foot dial then all bets are off as they are rare and valuable.

If you have a 3 footer I (and others) would immediately have one or more available. Please always post your movement number as part of your question.

Let us know,

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 1610
posted
Lindell makes a very good point. If that is a 4 post dial to get one without hairlines or chips would be a minimum of $100 if you could get it for that much less find someone who would part with one.

posted
Ah ... good inf.
Watch has movement number 755177.

Gropo

IHC Member 1610
posted
Steve your watch has a 4 post dial. Soooo it would take a lot of money $100 or more to replace that dial. You could probably replace that dial for less than $100 if you buy one with hairlines. I would stay away from ones with chips. It all depends on you and how much you want to spend or not spend.

posted
Thank you all for responding.
I think it will live on with the original dial.
I should look so good at 109 years old.

Gropo

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
There are many pieces and parts to a watch... But the watch was a tool more than an object. Back at one point in time the watch was also a symbol of prestidge. Today it is a remembrance of times past and we try and keep it as a piece of history and a momento of loved ones who may have owned it.

There are 3 main parts to a watch, movement- which must be oiled and cleaned periodically, case- which if worn to brass is replaced to look good, and dial- which when cracked and unsightly we replace to return it to its days of glory, functuality, and yes beauty. That is what we have become- caretakers of these wonders.

Since the dial was not touched by the loved one and not damaged by the loved one, then there is no story to be told of our loved one, but only of an inept repairman.

I would change that dial to one that is as near mint as possible, have the movement serviced- cleaned and oiled by a professional, of which, we have several members who are great watch repairmen on our site, then it will keep good time and no damage and further wear to parts will occur since it presently doesn't keep great time, which means it's due for routine maintenance. Then if the case is worn out and unsightly, I would replace that also to one that displays well, is period correct for the movement, and that the caretaker will be proud to show to others.

That's what being a caretaker means and unless it has great value then we maintain them and we keep the watch in the same great shape it would have been back in that time period. What's important is keeping the movement now in it and having it maintained and using original replacement parts in it, when needed. The movements serial number is how we tell when the watch itself was produced so that we the caretakers can keep the case, dial, and even hands period correct and changed when they become damaged and need be. The Hamilton 992 is not rare and over 600,000 of those exact movements were made. A value for the movement only in today's market is $100-$125.

So I would opt to do these things and if you want, have the repairman save the dial and put it in a 2"x2" plastic snap container that you may keep as a momento of the dial that was once on the watch. However that particular dial may or may not be the original dial that was on the watch when it left the factory. There is no way to ever acertain that ! Also get a glass dome protective watch holder and display it proudly in the caretakers home so that the remembrance is there and so that you can now proudly show it to others when it is in great condition much like when it left the factory after you do these things.....

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

My experience has been that many collectors attach a premium to the earlier Hamilton RR Grade Movements as they are more ornate. Some other Grade 992 variants are uncommon and a few are actually quite rare, therefore highly sought after and valuable. Steve does not have anything especially rare and all he asked about was the dial...

Focusing on the dial value, only a very small percentage of the total 992 movements manufactured (the earliest ones as I posted above) fronted four-footed-dials and therefore correct, original Hamilton "Four-Footed" dials are very difficult to find, and therefore if the seller of such a dial knows what they have it will be expensive.

Not to be argumentative, but what I tend to call "no issues, no damage" versions of correct, original RR Dials carry a high value. Remember, I asked for Steve's movement number and now you can see why. If his took a "Three-Footed" dial of the same design I would have been willing to exchange dials in the $125.00 area. But with the "Four-Footed" dial, expect that total amount to be times three! That is my opinion on value of a "Four Footed" dial, not an offer to sell, but I feel it is correct.

We are talking about a hundred and ten year old watch that for much of it's life was used as tool, getting banged around, originally expected 20 to 30 years but... the damage to Steve's dial was caused by a careless, inexperienced person. The person loosened the first 3 feet then pried on the dial, bending the copper backing and breaking the porcelain. Very serious error.

In summation, replacing Steve's dial (now that we know what it actually is) might NOT be financially realistic. I would properly repair the damaged area using non-invasive methods and then simply leave it alone.

Again, please always post your movement number as part of posing your question.

Be well my friends,

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002