Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton 928's? Now this one wants to run a RR! "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I have been "figgerin" Hamilton production numbers (where there are not too many to count) from the Gelson list, but I see many references to Hamilton total Production that evidence a better way to do this, such as a production record. Is there anything on our site that gives these numbers? This 928 s/n 36182 just came in and it looks like not many were made. (15 jewels and "look ma no micro-regulator" . . . . ever!)

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
posted
David,

From what I understand, you have a pretty rare piece there. The under 17 jewel Hamilton's are worth more simply because so few were made. Nice piece!

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Hey Dave, nice old watch there....My first to see a 928 and quite odd without the micro-regulator present....

The Hamilton is really tough to get production numbers(total) in one spot....I guess someone should take the Gelson list and transpose all that info into production lists, wouldn't be hard just time consuming....

That s/n 36182 is a low number looks like it came in the 6th. run, a run of 1000.

A quick skim of the Gelson list, I come up with approx. 3810....first run in 1895-96 and last run in 1900....

Regardless you have a watch that there was not a great number made of....

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
You're right David, there wasn't all that many 928'S made.

American Pocket Watches, Serial Number & Grade Book (1993) by Ehrhardt & Meggers gives a total production of 4997 928's between 1895 and 1900.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
David,
While I was looking Ed posted the same number that Lin quoted in this thread.

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...=697100632#697100632

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Just finished cleaning up the 928 (Actually Earl grabbed it B4 I could do it) and found some hands that "snapped in" like they came from it. Found a crystal that did same!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
On the timer after cleaning it came in at 18001-17999 all positions! Scary! It gave us the feeling like we used to get from the Twilight zone. After 113 years it wants to run a railroad!

IHC Member 1016
posted
Dave, My 928 doesn't have the micro-regulator either. That's good new as I thought I'd have to look for one. SN 86347 But, as you can see, it's missing the pointer (technical term).

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Michael, As these were so rare, I would hope you could take a "pointer" from a "normal" OF Hamilton 18s Parts watch and remove the little "button" that fits in the micro-regulator. I checked my parts mvt's to no avail, but you might find an 18s Regulator Staff "pointer" from Brian Cavanaugh. our super parts person at: pwpartsetc@pwatch.com