Tools
Reply to Post

Record price for a French Aircraft Clock "Click" to Login or Register 
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1102...e=ADME:B:WNA:US:1123

What impact, if any, do you suppose the scratched markings on the dial had?

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
I looked at that one when it first came up about a week ago but I was not interested due to the scratched writing on the dial. I consider it to be damage and not provenance. Some other people seem to have thought otherwise though I still think of it as damage since anyone could have done it at any time in the clock's life.

That is a very high price by several hundred compared to what these have sold for in the past. On the other hand maybe this means more people are becoming interested in military timepieces and their importance as historical artifacts from significant points in time which is a good thing.

I note, with some irritation, that the seller copied word for word a section out of one of my postings here to hype their sale. My posting on this type of clock At the very least they could have given credit to the Forum in exchange for helping to increase their personal profit.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Well said Jim.
This is not the first auction I have noticed which has barrowed information from IHC postings w/o credit to the authors. It's rare to see a proper citation online.

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002