• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

A little quiz "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Just for the fun of it, in case someone is interested from the collection. This is a wwii timepiece made by Zeiss.... what is it? Enjoy.

Posts: 132 | Location: London/London/England | Registered: December 13, 2004
posted
I am guessing a thermometer or a barometer, i am probaly very wrong.neat item just the same.Thanks for posting it Oliver. Smile

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Hello Oliver,

An impressive ballistic stopwatch. I would suppose the movement is Swiss.

This appears to be a German anti-aircraft gun timer. The dial is paper and it could be changed for guns of different caliber or for changes in the ammunition issued for a given AA cannon. The identity of the gun is noted on the dial, but it has been covered up in the image. Maybe the famous 8,8 Flak gun?

The timer was part of an altitude and movement measurement device developed by Carl Zeiss of Jena(famous for photographic and optical equipment) around 1915/1916.

Is it marked on the back for the Luftwaffe or the Kreigsmarine?

Thanks for the image.

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1948 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
hI,

I suppose that Vo=765 m/s is half the speed of sound in sea (salinity 3,5%) water. If the watch is what it think it is could be a device to misure sonar echoes with corrections in depth and in salinity as i see also a range of 3,5% to 3,7%.
rgds
enzo

Posts: 285 | Location: Rome, Italy | Registered: May 19, 2005
posted
Oliver,
You did not disclose the answer if you know it!
If you own the watch can you confirm the it makes a full turn in 20 sec or less?
tnks
rgds
enzo

Posts: 285 | Location: Rome, Italy | Registered: May 19, 2005
posted
It is indeed a Flak stop watch and yes the dial it came with is for the famed 8.8. I will verify the speed tonight. An interesting feature here is that the watch runs continuously and upon activating the stop function it is engaged/disengaged. There are no military markings whatsoever on the case.

Posts: 132 | Location: London/London/England | Registered: December 13, 2004
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
The continuous running movement is interesting. Only a few stop watches were made like that.

Posts: 1948 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002