Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Request for information regarding a Chronometer "Click" to Login or Register 
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

We recently received a request for any information regarding this chronometer and its value.

Image one

Posts: 5206 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
Administrative Assistant
posted

Image 2

Posts: 5206 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
Hi Debbie; do you have a movement picture ?? Thanks,Tom

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
Administrative Assistant
posted

I have asked for a movement image.

posted
Based on the serial number it appears to have been made in 1977 for the UK Defence Department so it does not have much age. The Hydrographic Department is the central coordinating agency for all such timepieces for the Defence Ministry agencies. It seems to be made by CWC which I believe stands for the Cabot Watch Company that was started in 1972 and supplies military timepieces to the UK. Here is a link to a website that is selling (has sold?) one in nice working considtion for $255. A nice amount of money, but not enough to plan on retiring anytime soon. The one on the linked webpage is serial number 046/77. The one shown in this thread is serial number 163/77. I have no idea how many they made that year or how many they have made in total since they started making these.

http://www.golfclubsreview.org...62_380324848886.html

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
posted
1. The watch is not a Chronometer Watch, it's a normal CWC Pocket Watch.
. WATCH, POCKET. 6645-99-520-8049
2. The watch doesn't belong in that wooden watch-box. The box hails from the 2.WW, for deck watches.
3. The watches can now be bought online from many MoD outlets in England...
http://www.mod-sales.com/aucti...ary_pocket_watch.htm

Here a Waltham with the same issue number:

http://www.mod-sales.com/aucti...ary_pocket_watch.htm

My WWW collection is now complete, time to look for new ventures!

Posts: 699 | Location: Hannover in Germany | Registered: July 23, 2009
Administrative Assistant
posted

Thank you Tom, Jim and Werner for your input.

Here is the movement...

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
interested in the box if it's available,Debbie. Thank you !!!

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009