Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Anybody want to "swap" - whatcha got ? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Jim McKinney
posted
Wink Greg / Lindell, please relocate this post if this is not the proper forum - Thanks !

Eek HEY ! Look what I found in an old box of memories . . . issued to me in Viet Nam by USAF in '68 - wore it continously for several years...but...I have no personal attachment. Inscribed on back as follows:

WRIST WATCH
MIL-W-3818A
SER. NO. 800
A F STOCK NO. 6645-898-1407
BULOVA STOCK NO. 10BNCH
CONT. NO. DA-36-038-ORD-20792M
U.S.

Case, dial & crown exactly like the two tactical WWs in Jerry Treiman's photo post on 8-30-04 except dial is signed "Bulova" - no strap - It tries . . . but won't keep running - Confused - was keeping excellent time when I tossed it in the box 30+ yrs ago. Big Grin Screw-off back requires 10 sided wrench/tool to remove. Sorry no photos at this time . . . anybody interested in adding this one to their collection ?

If so, - let me know whatcha got to offer in trade ?? Wink

Posts: 231 | Location: Northern Virginia in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 10, 2004
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
An interesting watch, Jim. Although Vietnam was not as long ago as WWI or WWII, the personal provenance, or history, of this watch to actual service in ‘Nam should not be lost to future generations. For this reason, I would encourage anyone acquiring this or any watch directly from a vet to write down whatever the vet is willing to share with you and keep it with the watch.

All that being said, I suppose for organizational reasons, we should keep posts for sale and trade in the for sale and trade forums. Wink

(BTW, thank you for your service in Vietnam, Jim, we appreciate it.)

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1983 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
Picture of Jim Rogers
posted
I have one I am sure similar

Mil-W-3818A
SN A13427
FSN 6645-808-1407
Bulova Stock # 10BNCH
Contract DA36-38-ORD-2150(M)
Hack movemnet the whole 9yards. I had a new crystal put on it a few years ago. Wore it on operations when I was in theArmy.Started wearing it again

Mil Bulova

Posts: 151 | Location: Atkinson, New Hampshire U.S.A. | Registered: October 17, 2004
posted
Jim, I am also a vet--US Army retired. So, I'm also interested in the military timepieces.

I have a Bulova exactly like that. I picked up mine at a mart about ten years ago for $10. It runs well. Thought it was a steal.

Tom

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Hi Jim,

I have always liked the gray steel case finish of those watches. The finish looks like the parkerising on military weapons like the M1 carbine.

Is the strap issue?

Greg

Posts: 1983 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
Jim, I looked at the specs on the back of my Bulova. Mine is the same as yours except for the Contract No. which is close. Mine reads DA36-038-ORD-21501(M). The last digits differ. Did you miss a number in the transcription? Mine is also serial numbered A13626.

Tom

Picture of Jim Rogers
posted
Tom,
You are right I missed a number
Should be
DA36-038-ORD-21501(M)
Now the question I am wretling with is whether to have the face redone, if only to re-establish the glow capability.
Don't think I will in the near future
Small world, LOL

Posts: 151 | Location: Atkinson, New Hampshire U.S.A. | Registered: October 17, 2004
Picture of Jim Rogers
posted
Greg,
Not original strap. At the moment I have black rubber band on it.

I was going to put a black nylon or green nylon on it. But the rubber band seems to work fine.
I wore this watch for years when I was In the military, the original band wore out years ago
Jim

Picture of Jim Rogers
posted
Tom,

My brother got this watch for me years ago when he was in the Navy. A Petty Officer who needed some $$$ sold it to him for next to nothing and he gave it to me for a present,had it ever since.

I never get rid of anything. I still have the Swiss Waltham 17J Incabloc my grandmother gave me for high school graduation.

I love that watch, then again, I loved my grandmother too, LoL

I put my watches on a little web site I wrote, here it is if interested

http://www.cruisersnh.com/Watch/start.htm

Picture of Jim Rogers
posted
tom & Greg,
Check this web site, go to the bottom of page
http://homepage1.nifty.com/o_yanagibashi/Yana01/Military/Bulova.html

posted
To fully understand the website, I'll have to brush up on my Chinese. Now we'll have to watchout for Chinese knockoff Bulovas.

Jim, An opinion on your dial. I wouldn't touch it. Mine doesn't glow anymore either. It's the original dial, and it looks great.

I also never throw anything away. I have my Gruen thin wristwatch that I got for HS graduation. Still have the original box.
I also still have my Timex selfwinding ww that I got for Christmas in 1957. It still keeps good time.

Tom

Picture of Jim Rogers
posted
Tom,
I agree thw Bulova is going to stay as is. Now I have to spend the rest of the night looking for the box my Waltham came in, LOL.

You know sometimes when you hit it, you hit it big.

I bought a 59 Jewel Cortebert from a man in Canada that arrived today. I can't believe what this guy did. You would swear this watch is new. So, I sent him an email and asked him about it.
He just replied and said he had the case replated before he sold it.

This watch is so beautiful, I almost want to take it out on a date and buy it dinner, LOL

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Hi Jim,

I like the easy to use layout of your watch collection webcite.

The Japanese webcite was also interesting. There are some extremely devoted collectorsin Japan. I'd like to see more of what they have accumulated. Japanese language books on military watches have been published which are highly regarded.

As for fake military watches - it is a problem and it's getting worse. Last year, I became aware of a large number of fake US military dials and cases made to fit Elgin and Waltham wristwatches. I see them assembled on watches which are sold on eBay.

Best regards,
Greg

Picture of Jim Rogers
posted
Greg
This watch collecting thing is starting to get expensive.

I bought a Cyma 25 Jewel Auto and a Titoni Airmaster 25 J Auto yesterday.

I am waiting for my Tissot Seven Star to come back from a dial and hand redo so I can send the Longines 990 Auto out for a dial resto.

But to tell you the truth, I really would like to get some Art Deco pieces those watch are so beautiful. BUT very expensive, LOL

I try not to collect any more than 2 watches from any maker, so I have a nice cross section.

I really want a Favre Lueba and and a nice Bucherer. The problem is I wear everything I own, and I am running out of days and wrists, LOL

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Hay, Jim. The day will come when you have a watch for each day of the year! At least - you don't work on watches. That's another level of addiction entirely! The little works are works of art!

Keep on tick'n!
Greg

Picture of Jim Rogers
posted
Greg,
I have been thinking about that, but I am concerned I would screw up more than I can fix, LOL
Jim