Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

The Watch of Group Captain Brandon J. Morry "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Chris Schirren
posted
Hi Folks! Not exactly a military watch being a 1923 992 with Monty dial, but interesting story according to the place (France) where I bought it:
The late owner made the last war in the French Air Force. Based in Oran, Algeria, his unit joined an American Air Force division in Tunis in 1944. He met an American officer, Group-Captain Brandon J. Morry, during a raid in Lybia. The watch was given by Capt. Morry to this French officer in 1944. My guess - must have been a very good reason: Why otherwise give up a nice 922, except for visible use on the case back?

In case anyone tracks down the family of Capt. Morry or thinks he needs it for other reasons, I'll be happy to part with it (since this is my 3rd 992...)

Chris.

Posts: 58 | Location: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: September 02, 2005
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
A cool Hamilton. Did you also get the name, rank and unit of the French pilot?

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
Hi Greg, indeed a nice watch, well worn bow and slighly indented back over the whole width (looks like someone sat on it to prevent damage from enemy fire) and sigifficant brassing, but other than that, nice movement, no hairlines or chips in dial etc.. Looks like a well used and taken care of watch. Would not change a thing except cleaning, it is kind of authentic that way. Movement is dirty (old oil) and dry, but balance very good and swings with authority. I have asked the question as to the french officer and hopefully I can get the answer. If I do shall let you know. As to parting with it, I have no intention to inflate the price due to its know history. If anyone wants it I would be happy to trade for a nice Hamilton and I would not ask for a 950. Point is, I am into RR watches, not so much military. Have you seen this chain before? It says something like Kokok USA (will check that over the weekend). Seems you have to take off the case bow to get it off or is there a trick?

Thanks & best regards/Chris.

posted
You are correct that it is not a military watch, but soldiers often bring personal civilian timepieces with them to wars. The most common way such things were passed around was that they were often used to settle up after games of 'chance' (poker, dice, etc.) that were going on all the time, just as they have been among all soldiers since ancient history. Another common way such things traded hands was as parts of deals to buy and sell things such as war souveniers or a bottle of hootch or such. On occassion you find presentation watches which almost always have some kind of inscription on them. Is there any inscription on the back or on the dust cover inside?

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
posted
Thanks Jim, no engravings except some watchmaker marks. I don't like presentation watches so this one is also "clean".

posted
That word on the chain is probably "Hickok" a company that made jewelry and watch chains.
To open the latch at the bow,grasp the flat part with the rivet in it and push the ring to one side or the other to uncover the opening.That should work.
Hope this helps.
J Smith

Posts: 188 | Location: Warrenton, North Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: January 12, 2003
posted
I thought that is the way it should work but the ring does not move at all. Both sides of the ring go into the flat part with the rivet, don't want to use excessive force either. Will take the bow off to have a better look at the inside of the flat part from the chain. Bow is loose anyway. Let you no results after weekend. Thanks!

posted
Julian,
first of all of course you are right, it is a Hickok chain. Took the bow off and this is what I see: One side of the ring extends well into the "box" with the rivet. The other end goes in about 2-3mm. The there is a flat metal inside the box, that is a spring pressing the ring against one side of the box. Logically, pressing the ring against the spring one should be able to pull it out but it does not move at all. The box does not look deformed. Take it rivet holds the chain on the other side. Any clue?
Thanks/Chris.

posted
OK, try this.
Grasp the body of the rectangular piece and pull toward the chain.
Maybe.
J Smith

Posts: 188 | Location: Warrenton, North Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: January 12, 2003