WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Original WWII RCA Victor military "G.I. Jive" morale records 78rpm speed "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1550
posted
My wife’s grandfather (Stephen) and his brother (Norman) were both WWII veterans and did their part on the front in Europe. They have both past on.

My wife’s great uncle Norman was quite the “entertainer” during the war. After the war he ventured into several professions all within the entertainment business. He became a locally known “actor” and “singer” in Hagerstown Maryland who did make some low level movie appearances and singing.

For what I do know is that he brought home these wonderful records from the war full of songs, dialogue, skits, propaganda and marches that kept the deployed troops distracted from the moment and connected with home. These original RCA/Victor 78 rpm records were made for the military to be played for the troops in the field to boost morale.

There are 24 records in total. These records are quite robust and have stood the test of time put away for 65+ years. They are one sided records made to play in sequence as they are numbered. I have many in order but some are just singles. I will show the list below of what I have.

These items are not for every collector and only appeal to those who were “Over there” or for those who would like to be brought back in time to those days and listen to what our hard fighting men were temporarily cheered by.

Here is the list: (also written on every record is a title of the song/songs on the record. This was done to help with playing a certain song request without trying every record. Quite possibly great Uncle Norman’s own hand)

G.I Jive No. 83 Part 1 #42 “Pennsylvania Polka”
G.I Jive No. 83 Part 2 #42 “Manhattan Serenade”
G.I Jive No. 83 Part 4 #42 “Jive Themes”

G.I Jive No. 84 Part 1 #43 “Interviews W.C. Handy”
G.I Jive No. 84 Part 2 #43 “Aunt Hager’s Children Blues”

G.I Jive No. 85 Part 1 #44 “Ride On” “Count Basie”
G.I Jive No. 85 Part 2 #44 “Der Fuehrer’s Face”
G.I Jive No. 85 Part 3 #44 “It’s Sand Man” “I’m Old Fashioned”
G.I Jive No. 85 Part 4 #44 “Jive Songs”

Tunes From Home #8 Part 1 “Keep ‘em Smilin’”
Tunes From Home #8 Part 2 “We’re the couple in the castle” (no sleeve)
Tunes From Home #8 Part 3 “Johnny Doughboy found a rose in Ireland”
Tunes From Home #8 Part 4 “Three Little Sisters”
Tunes From Home #8 Part 5 “Marches” (no sleeve)
Tunes From Home #8 Part 6 “Marches” (no sleeve)

Music To Sing With Program #5 Part 3 “15 years on the Erie Canal” Suwannee River”
Music To Sing With Program #5 Part 4 “Glendy Burke” “Steve Foster”
Music To Sing With Program #5 Part 4 “One Wide River” “(cowboy)”

Music To Sing With Program #7 Part 4 “Praise the Lord and pass the Ammunition”

Music To Sing With Program #24 Part 1 “Take you home Kathleen” “Rose O’ Day”

Music To Sing With Program #27 Part 1 “Barnacle Bill” “Marching Along”

Music To Sing With Program #28 Part 1 “Old Kentucky Home” “Stein song” (no sleeve)

Music To Sing With Program #29 Part 1 “Git along home” “Annie Rooney”

Music To Sing With Program #30 Part 1 “ Over There!” “Remember”

I have not been able to find any other examples comparable to what I have. If anyone has more information they would like to share it is sure welcome. We do have an old Victrola and have enjoyed and played these from time to time. I hope all is well with all.

Posts: 495 | Location: Southcoast Massachusetts | Registered: May 13, 2010
IHC Member 1550
posted
Tunes from Home sample

IHC Member 1550
posted
GI Jive Sample

IHC Member 1550
posted
Music to sing with sample

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
What an utterly amazing historical item ,Michael, and simply a splendid reality connection with the soldiers,sailors and airmen of the greatest generation. Just wonderful my friend ,a museum quality item for certain. How many brave men listened to these before going into battle risking the spilling of their life-blood in defense of the Star Spangled Banner?

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Member 1550
posted
Far too many Tom....on all sides.