WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Early usage of wristwatches during World War I . . . "Click" to Login or Register 
Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
Hello Everyone:

I am working on an article regarding early Hamiltons and would like to ask a question regarding early usage of wristwatches during World War I.

I've read that the so-called “Military Watches” of the 1910s were distributed to troops by the United States Government, but that this was not the case.

Is it true that the only wristwatches purchased by the US military for use in World War I were obtained from Zenith, the Swiss manufacturer? I understand that the government-issued Signal Corps wristwatches that had the Zenith name signed above the sub-second dial and “Signal Corps” printed just below the numeral “12” and that those entering the War, typically purchased their own watches.

I would appreciate any assistance from someone knowledgeable in this area.

Regards,

Will

Posts: 80 | Location: Carlstadt, New Jersey U.S.A. | Registered: January 23, 2005
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
In addition to Zenith, the US Signal Corps also bought wristwatches from Moser and Tissot. Those are the only three Swiss firms I know of at this time.

I have been told that the US Army bought some Elgin wristwatches in WWI, but it's unclear how the US military marked their Elgin purchases during WWI. Hard data on U.S. Govt. purchases of wristwatches in 1917 - 1918 is needed but not available.

Good question.

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks Greg:

That's very helpful information.

Do you know why the US Government never purchased US made wristwatches (at that time, other than Elgin)? What would be the reason for purchasing Swiss made wristwatches?

Thanks again,

Will

Posts: 80 | Location: Carlstadt, New Jersey U.S.A. | Registered: January 23, 2005
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
As far as I know, the US may have purchased other brands of US made wristwatches, such as those made by Waltham. However, no one has provided any contract data for any brand to back it up. At least, not that I have been made aware of.

To understand why the A.E.F. issued Swiss watches prior to those made in the US, we must consider how unprepared the US was for war in 1917. Our troops at first used a lot of British and French equipment because the US did not have everything ready to go in 1917. Thus, American troops used French and English machine guns, English helmets, French and English gas masks, aircraft and so forth. The Swiss were close at hand, so the American Expeditionary Forces contracted with them for watches and got them faster than those which could have been shipped over from the U.S.A. By late 1918, the U.S. had geared up to supply most of our military needs, however, by November the war was over, over there.

I suspect most men purchased their own watches at that time. U.S. issued watches of any brand appear to be rather uncommon from WWI. For the most part, the issue is open to speculation based upon a few examples in collections.

Best regards,

Greg

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
I have a CYMA with radium dial and marked
Signal Corps
U.S.A.

It has a 24 hr dial and solid wire band loops.
No serial number except for the Nickle case.
J Smith

Posts: 188 | Location: Warrenton, North Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: January 12, 2003
Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks Everyone:

You all have been very helpful. I never dreamed that this site would be as helpfull as it has been.

Regards,

Will

posted
Will:
I have an early Omega marked U.S. Signal Corps.
Dan Rom

Posts: 23 | Location: Waterford, Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: February 28, 2005
Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
Hi Dan:

Do you have any pictures of it? I would love to see what it looks like. Do you know if it is an 0-sized or 3/0-sized movement. Also, is it wire lugged or spring bar?

Sorry to ask so many questions.

Thanks,

Will