Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Rare? Elgin B.W.R. GCT Wind Indicator "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1183
posted
Hi:

I have a marked 21j (and as I understand actually 22j to account for the extra jewel for the sweep second hand) Elgin B.W. Raymond GCT Wind Indicator. The serial number is 34574396 circa 1933, obviously not produced during WWII. Anyone have input on how many of this watch were made or its scarcity?

Thank you for your comments,

Barry

Posts: 2121 | Location: St. Peters, Missouri in the USA | Registered: September 17, 2008
IHC Member 1183
posted
The number 6 is superimposed over 5 in "adjusted 6 positions." No "extra" screw marks.

Posts: 2121 | Location: St. Peters, Missouri in the USA | Registered: September 17, 2008
posted
I don't know for sure, but there are several things about this example that do not appear to be correct for an Elgin GCT. The first is the case which looks rather civilian. The second is the dial. Most of these had 24 hour dials with the exception of a batch that was sold to the RAF with 12 hour dials but those were marked with the British broad arrow which this one does not have. The third question is the location of the serial number, all of the ones I have seen have the serial number above the 'B.W. Raymond' rather than below the '21 Jewels'. And finally the serial number which as you point out makes this too early to be a GCT movement. Maybe I am wrong on some of these things, but there are a fair number of things here that do not seem to be normal. Could you please provide a photo of the back of the case so that we can see the military markings and contract numbers and such?

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
IHC Member 1183
posted
Back--no military markings.

IHC Member 1183
posted
Inside--similar case to the one shown on ebay but gold filled.