• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

J.W.Morris, Naval Timekeeper "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Something a little different for you all to look at!
A recent eBay find which was turned up quite by accident, and managed to win!

English Lever movement with a well jewelled train for it's period.
Often only the top plate is jewelled because they're visble, but this one is jewelled on the dial plate too.

Generally in good condition, except for a broken staff.
The case is sterling Silver, and hallmarked by the Chester Assay office for 1890.
Unfortunately the back dome is missing - hinge torn off!
I doubt there would have been any military markings on it though.

The dial is in reasonable condition except for a chip out of the centre, and fortunately wasn't ruined, as the main piece of military history of this piece is on that dial.

I'm assuming it is military, but it could just as easily have been used by the Merchant Navy!

Anyone know anything about the company?

Best regards

John

J.W.Morris

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
English Lever Movement

J.W.

JW Morris Movement

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Well Jewelled Pillar Plate.

J.W.

JW Morris Pillar Plate

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Nice Catch John. In researching my immediate references, Alan Shenton's "Pocket Watches 19th & 20th Century" . .

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
. . . nice little ditty on the J. Morris Watches. Your's with what appears to be a much higher grade movement and regulator is definetely a member of that family .

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Wow, Fantastic, Thanks David, really appreciated.
Never expected anyone to turn stuff like that up on the company, never seen that book before either.

It really was an accidental find too, I was checking out someone's feedback and took a browse on their items for sale ......... the rest as they say is history Big Grin

Best regards

John