Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Helvitia Military Pocket Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi Folks,
A different Pocket Watch for you to look over, all opinions on its age, use etc invited.

A Helvetia, Nickel plated case with 'Snap-On' case back and bezel (all well worn) bevel edge glass in the bezel, Stem wind, Stem set.

Movement is stamped 'General Watch co - Switzerland' plus '32A' on the bridges and 'Helvitia' on the winding gear.
No marks depicting numbers of jewels fitted, but appears to be 15 Ruby jewels in 'pressed in' brass seats.
One piece balance with timing screws and 'Breguet Overcoil' hairspring.

Dial is porcelaine with 'Sub Seconds' at 6.00 position, and plain Arabic numerals have luminous compound only on the '3', '9' & '12' and 5 min positions. Hands are skeletonised and luminous paint filled (mostly!)

The case back is engraved centrally: GS/TP over P21085 over the broad arrow.

The movement is a non-runner at the moment as the balance staff is broken, but the movement otherwise seems very clean and operates in all functions freely.

One to come will be of great interest to you Greg, has features you are interested in seeing! A clue is in a previous posting of yours Big Grin

Helvitia Military Dial

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Helvetia Movement

Helvitia military Movement

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Helvitia Case Back

posted
Apologies - 'finger Trouble' ........... here's the case back (hopefully)! Wink

Helvitia Case Back

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Thanks John,

A fine old "General Service [watch]/ Trade Pattern". Well worth fixing.

Best regards,

Greg

Posts: 1948 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
Hi Greg,
Thanks for the comments,
Any idea what the engraved 'P' signifies?
Best regards
John

posted
When you see a letter code as part of the number like that it indicates the maker. The British purchased timepieces from a great many makers and to keep them straight they used letter codes for the companies that made them.

Posts: 871 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
posted
Many thanks for the explanation Jim, any ideas if a list of makers relating to the letters has ever been compiled.
Best regards
John

posted
I don't know. These are not my main area of interest - my main interest is in aircraft clocks and instrument panel watches - hopefully Greg or someone else can say.

I have been working on a collaborative research on the letter codes on WW I Royal Flying Corps aircraft watches but those use a different system with two letter manufacturer codes. You can scroll down on the list of discussion topics in the forum to find that discussion thread or just click on below link to go directly there. If you have any of these kinds of timepieces in your collection, please share the information so that we can continue to expand the study.

If no one can think of an existing list of the single letter codes on army timepieces anywhere, you might consider taking on a similar research study here to create such a list.

Here is the link to the RFC aircraft watch thread:

WW I RFC aircraft watch letter codes

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
GSTP watches

Hello John and Jim,

A GS/TP thread was started (above) but never got of the ground. Still, a worthy project. These watches can still be had for reasonable prices.

Best regards,

Greg

Posts: 1948 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
Thanks Greg - I had forgotten about that thread. It would be nice if someone were to take on the research and try to sort out all of the different markings on these GS/TP over the years.

posted
Thanks for the reminder of the GSTP link Greg, I had read the postings but hadn't registered the connection.

Military watches aren't really my main interest,I'm just posting information of such timepieces as I have in my posession for the interest of forum visitors and, to add to the Chapter 185 Military watch 'Gallery'.

I'll certainly add any GSTP watch information as I discover any, including my own, but I'm unable to take on any actual research at the moment.
Best regards
John